This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6667 / 50°40'0"N
Longitude: -4.4528 / 4°27'9"W
OS Eastings: 226762
OS Northings: 88100
OS Grid: SX267881
Mapcode National: GBR NG.782Z
Mapcode Global: FRA 17K9.WLH
Entry Name: Stables
Listing Date: 22 November 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142918
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67945
Location: Egloskerry, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: Egloskerry
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Egloskerry
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SI 28 NE
Stables. 1620 (datestone) for Sir John Specott. Snecked stone with moulded plinth
and strings. Steeply pitched slate roof with hipped ends. Stone rubble axial and
rear lateral stacks.
Plan: Main range of overall rectangular plan containing stables with loft and
accommodation for stable hands above. Garages in shallow wing to rear left and
farmhouse in shallow wing to rear right.
Exterior: Two storeys. Symmetrical front of 9 bays with moulded plinth and
continuous moulded string. Central entrance remodelled in 1676 (R. Edwards); rounded
granite arch with hood mould and segmental arched pediment above formed by the
raising of the string course. Flanked on either side by 3 granite mullion and
transom window openings with low granite rounded arched openings in the third and
seventh bays, the arches with hood moulds and triangular pediments above. On the
first floor is a central loft opening , also remodelled in 1676 (R. Edwards), which
is raised slightly above the eaves level with a rounded granite arch, hood mould and
triangular pediment. 4 ventilation slits to left and right.
The rear elevation has garage doors to rear left and C17 mullion and transom windows
which light the farmhouse in the wing to rear right.
Interior: Not accessible although the owner states that there are complete probably
C18 stalls and loose boxes.
Edwards, R. 'Penheale Manor House' Country Life March 28, 1925.
Listing NGR: SX2666488001
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings