This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.666 / 50°39'57"N
Longitude: -4.4517 / 4°27'6"W
OS Eastings: 226833
OS Northings: 88018
OS Grid: SX268880
Mapcode National: GBR NG.78BX
Mapcode Global: FRA 17K9.X3B
Plus Code: 9C2QMG8X+C8
Entry Name: Penheale Manor
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Last Amended: 11 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1160121
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67939
Location: Egloskerry, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: Egloskerry
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Egloskerry
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 28 NE
8/49 Penheale Manor
(formerly listed as Penheale
Country house. Probably with medieval origins, although probably almost entirely
rebuilt after 1572 for George Grenville. Extended and remodelled for John Specott in
the 1630s and for his son Paul. Divided into 3 dwellings in the late C18. In the
early C20 Sir Edwin Lutyens was responsible for adding a south range for Captain N.R.
Colville. It appears that Lutyens was probably also responsible for several
alterations to the exterior and interior of the earlier range.
Stone rubble with ashlar granite north front. Cut slatestone, quartz and polyphant
stone in the south range. Slate roofs. C17 moulded granite caps to the axial, end
and lateral stacks.
Plan: The arrangement of the plan is uncertain as the interior was not available for
inspection at time of survey (1987). The entrance is near the centre of north
elevation, leading into a wide through passage with courtyard to rear and flanked by
principal rooms. There is a late C18 one-room plan wing to front left which is on
the site of an earlier wing (see the Spoure Book). The wings to rear right and left
enclose the first courtyard and the south ranges enclose a second courtyard which is
largely surrounded by Sir Edwin Lutyens' extensions. Lutyen's extended the lower
service wing and cellars on the south, south west and built a service range to the
abutting a C19 cider house in the south west corner. Lutyens then continued the
service range and nursery by returning the wing to north east and connecting with the
Exterior: North front of two storeys with moulded plinth, continuous string rising
to form hood moulds to the ground and first floor windows. The symmetry is broken by
the circa late C18 wing to front left. The entrance is near the centre with a 4-
centred granite roll-moulded arch with hoodmould and datestone 1636 PS GS (Paul
Specott and Grace). It is possible that this entrance was inserted, the Country Life
article of 1925 suggests that the entrance was originally in the east end- of the
front. Flanking the entrance a 6-light mullion window on left and two similar windows
to right. First floor with 3 similar windows and 3-light mullion window above
entrance. Battlemented parapet across north elevation. The rain water hoppers are
of circa 1636 with Paul Specott's arms impaling those of his first wife Grace
Halswell. The earlier part of the west elevation has been reduced in height to one
storey and cellar and was extended on right by Lutyens in a similar style, reusing
the earlier stone for a front lateral stack. Across the south Lutyens added a 4-
storey tower which is massive but simple in detail with two canted oriel bays on the
south side, corbelling out over the ground floor. This tower contrasts with the
adjoining C19 cider house on left which is of 2-storeys with simple shuttered
openings. To right of the tower, Lutyens' service range is of 2 storeys with
multiple moulded surrounds to the mullion windows and gable end of cross wing on
right. The east elevation of this wing contains a Lutyens' nursery window at first
Interior: Not accessible. The Country Life article of 1925 describes fine quality
panelling and plasterwork including a hall screen of circa 1640, and oak panelled
parlour. The Lutyen's extension contains a stair of similar design but on a smaller
scale to that of Castle Drogo (information from owner) and the service rooms contain
joinery and carpentry details by Lutyens.
The Spoure Book 1698 Cornwall Record Office FS3/93/3/133
Edwards, R 'Penheale Manor House' Country Life March 28, 1925.
Listing NGR: SX2683087996
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings