This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7037 / 50°42'13"N
Longitude: -4.3805 / 4°22'49"W
OS Eastings: 232002
OS Northings: 92047
OS Grid: SX320920
Mapcode National: GBR NK.4W3V
Mapcode Global: FRA 17Q6.TH5
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Name
Listing Date: 22 November 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142944
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67901
Location: Boyton, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: Boyton
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Boyton
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 39 SW
5/12 Church of the Holy Name
Parish church. Circa C14 origins restored in 1876-7 probably by J.P. St Aubyn.
Stone rubble with moulded plinths. Slate roof, nave and chancel in one.
Plan: Early Norman font and piscina possibly early C13 (Sedding). Lower part of
tower circa early C14 and 5-bay south aisle circa C15. Tower partly rebuilt 1692-4
(datestone) and church restored in 1876-7.
Exterior: West tower of 3 stages with battlemented parapet and octagonal turrets.
Carved slate stone on tower records that William Symmons of Bradridge (died 1692)
gave £100 towards the building of the tower. Circa late C19 window inserted in west
door. 2-light belfry openings with slate louvers. 3-light C15 Perpendicular tracery
to nave, chancel and south aisle with C19 Perpendicular tracery towards west end of
north wall and at west end of south aisle. Circa C16 arch to south porch with C18
sundial above and moulded 2-centred arch to south door.
Interior: Plastered walls. Circa C15 waggon roofs with moulded ribs and carved
bosses; east end of south aisle nave, elaborate with carved ribs. 5-bay C15 south
aisle arcade with type A (Pevsner) piers and segmental granite arches. Circa late
C15 or early C16 remains of chancel screen. Early Norman font (illustrated by
Sedding) and crude possibly C13 piscina. Carved soffits of lintels above south aisle
windows probably original and insitu. C19 furnishings. Painted timber Coat of Arms
of Lovis family (qv Beardon) with motto 'Love is good if in the Lord'.
Memorials including those to Richard Jenn of Westcott, 1795 and W. Symmons of
Bradridge 1692. Several C18 and C19 headstones and ledger stones reset against outer
south aisle wall.
Pevsner, N. and Radcliffe, E. The Buildings of England, Cornwall, 2nd edition 1970.
Sedding, E.H. Norman Architecture in Cornwall, 1909.
Listing NGR: SX3200292047
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings