This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7143 / 50°42'51"N
Longitude: -4.4024 / 4°24'8"W
OS Eastings: 230491
OS Northings: 93269
OS Grid: SX304932
Mapcode National: GBR NJ.490S
Mapcode Global: FRA 17N6.4PK
Entry Name: Beardon
Listing Date: 11 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142978
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67889
Location: Boyton, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: Boyton
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Boyton
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 39 SW
House. Circa late C16 probably with earlier origins. Stone rubble with cob in rear
wing. Slate roof with gable ends. Projecting stone rubble rear lateral and end
stacks with brick shafts.
Plan: The extent of the original house is uncertain. The existing house is a 3-room
and through passage plan, ground sloping down to right and with service wing at lower
end to rear right forming an overall 'L' shaped plan. Entrance to right of centre
with hall on higher left hand side heated by a rear lateral stack and inner room
beyond also heated by a rear lateral stack. Large service room on lower right hand
side, heated by an end stack and service wing to rear heated by end stack. The
partition walls to the main range are all thin and there maybe remains of a screen on
the higher side of the passage. There was probably a small turretted stair adjoining
the higher left hand side of the hall fireplace. The floor levels alter considerably
as the ground slopes down to the right.
In the early C18 the hall was remodelled and in the late C19 a stair was inserted in
the passage blocking the rear door. The roof to the front range was also replaced,
the eaves probably being raised. There is evidence of rebuilding on the front
elevation where there are several partly blocked openings.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 5-window front; the ground sloping down to right.
Buttress to left of centre and entrance to right of centre with C20 door. C19 and
C20 sashes and C19 double sashes asymmetrically placed. Early C18 sash with thick
glazing bars above stair on rear elevation.
Interior: Wide passage with blocked door opening to rear and late C19 or early C20
stair inserted to rear. On the higher left hand side are the remains of 2 multiple
moulded muntins which may comprise the remains of a hall screen. The hall was
remodelled in the early C18 and retains a moulded cornice and part of the raised and
fielded panelling. This room was probably panelled in the C18. Later chimney-piece
with reset Delft tiles of C17 type. A turretted stair was probably accommodated on
the left hand side of the fireplace, corresponding with a straight joint on the wall
behind (which contains a probably reset multiple moulded lintel) and a large cupboard
on the first floor. Circa late C18 moulded dentilled cornice in inner room.
The lower end on right has a massive waney curved joist which is roughly cut and a
smaller boxed joist. The rear wing has C17 heavy chamfered ceiling beams and a large
partly blocked fireplace. There are several C18 2-panelled doors throughout the
Roof structure; main range re-roofed in late C19 when the eaves were probably raised.
The lower roof above the rear wing was not inspected.
Marked by Norden in circa 1584 as Berdon, seat of Richarde Lovice. The Hearth tax
returns for 1664 record II hearths.
Norden Speculi Britanniae Pars: A Topographical and Historical Description of
Cornwall, ' 3, reprinted 1966.
Stoate, T. L. Cornwall Hearth and Poll Taxes 1660-1664, 1981.
Listing NGR: SX3049193269
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings