This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5576 / 50°33'27"N
Longitude: -4.7379 / 4°44'16"W
OS Eastings: 206166
OS Northings: 76677
OS Grid: SX061766
Mapcode National: GBR N2.G6S8
Mapcode Global: FRA 07ZL.D05
Plus Code: 9C2QH756+3R
Entry Name: Tremeer and Terraces in Garden to East
Listing Date: 4 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142980
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67792
Location: St. Tudy, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: St. Tudy
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Tudy with Michaelstow
Church of England Diocese: Truro
8/162 Tremeer and terraces in garden to
Large house and garden terraces. Possibly C16 origins with records dating from the
1430's. Partly altered in early C17 and rebuilt in 1798 for a Dr. Reed. Extended in
1899 (datestone) for the Hext family. Slatestone rubble and snecked granite, slate
hung on the south east and south west elevations and rendered on the north east
front. Double span slate roof with gable ends and rendered axial stacks with a
projecting lateral kitchen stack.
Plan: Complicated triple pile plan with several thick internal cross walls, several
C17 blocked fireplaces in the cellar and one late C16 fireplace on the ground floor
suggesting that the house was probably only partly rebuilt in 1798. Main entrance on
north east elevation with rear entrance on south west and garden front to south east.
The house is built into a slope with the ground rising to the north west and a large
cellar extending underneath the greater part of the house. The main entrance on the
north east leads into a stair hall and beyond into a large colonnaded vestibule in
the centre of the house with a further stair hall to rear. To the south east, on the
left of the hall, overlooking the garden are two reception rooms heated by an axial
stack with back-to-back fireplaces with a study to rear left. To the right (north
west) is a further reception room, heated by an axial stack with a kitchen to rear
right heated by a rear lateral stack. The service rooms were accommodated in the
cellar. An early C19 engraving of the house illustrates the south east garden front
with a canted bay window continuing the full height and with a single rather than
double roof span. In 1899 the north east elevation was remodelled and partly
extended with a shallow canted bay projection, the roof was altered and the canted
bay on the south east garden front remodelled. The 1899 remodelling is in Arts and
Exterior: The north east front if 1899 is in the Arts and Crafts style. 2-storeys,
cellar and attic. Symmetrical twin-gabled front with 3-light attic windows with
ventilation slits above in the gables. The ground and first floor projects and has a
canted 2-storey porch at the centre flanked by 2-light windows on the left side and
4-light windows on the right side. The doorway has a semi-circular open pediment
containing the Hext coat of arms with the date and motto in a cartouche; the doorway
opening has a cambered head. The doorway is flanked by very small single light
windows and the first floor window above has.3 lights flanked by 2 lights in the
canted sides of the porch. All the windows have granite frames and iron casements
with leaded panes, the ground floor windows have transoms.
South east garden front of 2-storeys, cellar and attic. To left of centre a canted
bay window to cellar, continued with a curved bay window above and terminating in a
gable which rises above the parapet of the main range. 2 and 3-light mullion and
transom windows to right and left. A Venetian window with a granite surround lights
a C19 stair on the south west elevation.
Interior: Reception room on east has a circa late C16 roll moulded granite fireplace
with a segmental arch decorated with a triangle and ball motif. 1904 Art Nouveau
copper hood. Reception room on north with an exceptionally large fireplace with
bolection moulded surround, raised and fielded panel above and ceiling with plastered
chamfered intersecting beams with moulded cornicing. Early C19 open well stair on
south west, the first stage with turned newel, stick balusters and ramped rail and
the upper stages far plainer with rectangular stick balusters. Circa 1899 open well
stair on north east of pine in late C17 design with flat splat balusters, square
newels and a heavy moulded rail. First floor with a late C18 cast iron grate to
bedroom on west.
Terraced gardens on the south east, possibly C17 in origin and remodelled by Major
General E.G.W. Harrison in the 1940's. Several flights of granite steps with granite
piers and stone rubble circular piers with moulded caps.
Marked by-Norden in circa 1584 as seat of Edward Lowre. Birthplace of Sir William
Lower, author who died in 1662 and of Richard Lower, M.D. (died 1690) Physician
inordinary to Charles II, who published various medical works and was associated with
the first blood transfusion. In 1662 the Hearth Tax returns record 8 hearths. After
the Second World War Major General E. G. W. Harrison lived at Tremeer and was
responsible for the design of the gardens. See Country Life November 3, 1960
CXXVIII, page 1018.
Gilbert, Davies Parochial History of Cornwall, 1838
Kelly's Directory of Cornwall, 1835
Maclean, Sir J Parochial and Family History of The Deanery of Trigg Minor, 1876
Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, 1873 reprinted 1974
Stoate, T L Cornwall Hearth and Poll Taxes 1660-1664, 1981
Norden Speculi Britanniae Pars: A Topographical and Historical Description of
Cornwall, 1728, reprinted 1966.
Listing NGR: SX0616676677
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings