This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5203 / 50°31'12"N
Longitude: -4.8344 / 4°50'3"W
OS Eastings: 199174
OS Northings: 72779
OS Grid: SW991727
Mapcode National: GBR ZT.9CFT
Mapcode Global: FRA 07RP.BDY
Plus Code: 9C2QG5C8+46
Entry Name: Gonvena House
Listing Date: 6 June 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142999
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67838
Location: Wadebridge, Cornwall, PL27
Civil Parish: Wadebridge
Built-Up Area: Wadebridge
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Breoke
Church of England Diocese: Truro
9/210 Gonvena House
House, now divided into flats. Circa 1790. Built for Edward Fox, a local merchant.
Stone rubble with Flemish bond red brick front (south-west) and right hand side
(south-east) elevation. Cement washed slate roof with hipped ends. Brick end
Plan: Central entrance to piano nobile. Double depth plan; Entrance hall with stair
originally to rear and two main reception rooms on front right and left, heated by
end stacks. Two shallower rooms to rear. Service wing of 2 room plan to rear right,
further extended in-circa mid C19 with additional rear wing of 2 room plan beyond
forming an overall 'L' shaped plan.
Exterior: 3-storey and basement with front elevation facing south west, overlooking
the garden, originally laid out by Fox and commanding a view over Wadebridge.
Symmetrical five window front elevation in brick with dressed stone flat bands to the
string courses and chamfered quoins; rubbed brick flat arches with dressed stone key
blocks and modillion cornice. Flight of steps with cast iron balustrade upto central
entrance in piano nobile; 6 panel door with fanlight and broken pediment on consol
brackets. Original late C18 sashes with crown glass; 6-pane sashes in basement, 12-
pane sashes to ground and first floor and 3 over 6-pane sashes to second floor.
Right hand side elevation in brick with 2-windows front, a blind bay on the left and
tripartite sashes to the right. Lower 2 storey wing to rear.
Interior: Not accessible although the owner states that the stair has been removed
and partitions altered.
The house is particularly conspicuous with the two brick elevations visible from the
town centre of Wadebridge.
Maclean, Sir J Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor. 1876
Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, 1872 reprinted
Listing NGR: SW9917472779
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings