This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.495 / 50°29'41"N
Longitude: -4.768 / 4°46'4"W
OS Eastings: 203773
OS Northings: 69789
OS Grid: SX037697
Mapcode National: GBR N0.L536
Mapcode Global: FRA 07XR.69K
Entry Name: Washaway Court
Listing Date: 3 August 1976
Last Amended: 4 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143058
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67673
Location: Egloshayle, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: Egloshayle
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Breoke
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 06 NW
7/40 Washaway Court (previously listed
as Washaway Farmhouse)
Former posting house and inn converted to farmhouse in late C19 and to private house
in late C20. Circa early C18 origins extensively altered in the late C20. Stone
rubble. Slate roof with gable ends with hipped ends to higher wing to rear right.
Brick axial stacks with side lateral stack ro rear wing.
Plan: Overall 'L' shaped plan remodelled in late C20. The long low front range is
of three room plan, extended on the left in the mid C19 with a stable range with loft
above, converted into domestic accommodation in the late C20. The higher 2-storey
wing on rear right comprises a courtroom on the first floor used for the monthly
petty sessions for the Hundred of Trigg in the C19.
Exterior: 2-storeys. Irregular 7 window front with brick segmental arches to
openings. Rendered C19 porch with C20 door to right of centre with stable range to
far left, now converted to domestic accommodation. Late C19 and C20 4-pane sashes
with C19 2-light casement on first floor. Several straight joints in masonry on
front, side and rear elevations.
Interior: C19 and C20 joinery with several C18 2-panel doors. Courtroom in rear
wing retains the magistrates dais and has an early C18 moulded cornice.
Washaway Inn was used to hold the monthly petty sessions for the Hundred of Trigg
until the 1870s. In the 1760 and 1770s a Venison Club was also held where
neighbouring gentry dined several times a year. Maclean quotes the diary of a Mr.
George Browne who dined at the club in 1768 and 1775 and who recorded several curious
facts and incidents.
Maclean, Sir J Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor, 1876
Listing NGR: SX0377369789
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings