This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6935 / 50°41'36"N
Longitude: -4.6569 / 4°39'24"W
OS Eastings: 212446
OS Northings: 91573
OS Grid: SX124915
Mapcode National: GBR N5.5PM0
Mapcode Global: FRA 1747.MLJ
Entry Name: Old Rectory
Listing Date: 20 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143465
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68805
Location: St. Juliot, Cornwall, PL35
Civil Parish: St. Juliot
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Otterham, Saint Juliot and Lesnewth
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 19 SW
Rectory, now private house. Circa 1847 (Polsue) although owner suggests a date in
Slate stone rubble, slate hung on south garden front. Steeply pitched regular slate
roof with double gable ends to front and rear, overhanging eaves and ornate shaped
and pierced barge boards. Brick stacks on front and rear gable ends.
Rectangular double depth plan with side entrance leading to the entrance hall which
separates the two reception rooms on the front overlooking the garden to the right
and the smaller service room behind to the left.
2 storeys and attic. The east entrance side is asymmetrical with 2 gables, the
larger to left and both have ornate pierced and shaped bargeboards. To right of
centre directly below the valley a gabled porch with the same ornate bargeboards,
dressed stone 4-centred arch and part-glazed inner door. Immediately above the porch
a 12-pane sash and a similar but larger 12-pane sash to right on ground and first
floors, all with flat dressed stone arches and slate cills. In each of the gables a
cross-shaped slit window lighting the attics.
Symmetrical south garden front; slate hung with two double glazed doors on ground
floor and two 12-pane horned sashes with crown glass on first floor. Rear elevation
with double gabled end, two cross shaped openings as on entrnace front but glazing
replaced with slate and the shaped barge boards are unpierced. Lean-to outshot on
right hand side wall.
Interior not inspected.
Emma Gifford, later Emma Hardy moved to St Juliot Rectory in 1868 to join her sister
Helen Catherine, wife of Rev. Caddell Holder. The opening chapters of Thomas Hardy's
navel, Pair of Blue Eyes recalls the author's visit to the rectory when he first met
Gittings, R. Young Thomas Hardy 1980
Halliday, F. E. Thomas Hardy 1984
Polsue, J. Lake Parochial History of the Count of Cornwall, 1872, reprinted 1974.
Listing NGR: SX1244691573
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings