This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.5777 / 50°34'39"N
Longitude: -4.713 / 4°42'46"W
OS Eastings: 208008
OS Northings: 78842
OS Grid: SX080788
Mapcode National: GBR N3.DTDN
Mapcode Global: FRA 170J.X9D
Entry Name: School House and School
Listing Date: 13 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143534
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68566
Location: Michaelstow, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: Michaelstow
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Tudy with Michaelstow
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 07 NE
6/124 School House and School
National school and school house now private house. Circa C18 cottage remodelled as
school in 1852 when the school house was erected (datestone). Built by Earl
Stone rubble and cob, the school house with granite quoins and lintels. School house
on left has a rag slate roof with gable ends and a brick axial stack. The school to
right has a rear earlier range with rag slate roof and stone rubble stack on right
hand gable end. Second parallel range to front of early C20 with rag slate roof with
Plan: school originally a cottage possibly of 2 room plan, the right hand room heated
by an end stack. In 1852 a school house was erected as a cross wing on the left hand
gable end forming an overall 'T' shaped plan. The school house of 2 room plan has 2
back-to-back fireplaces heated by a central axial stack; the parlour probably on the
front and the kitchen to rear. In circa later C19 an outshot was added across the
rear of the school; the outshot was extended in the C20 and in circa early C20 an
extension of 1-room plan was added across the front of the school.
Exterior : 2 storey range to school house on left with gable end to front. 4-pane
sash on ground and first floor and entrance to right between school house and school.
Datestone 'National School, 1852' in gable end. Left hand side elevation with C20
glazed double door to left and 4-pane sashes to right and on first floor. School to
right has brick dressings to openings and gable to front in centre.
Interior of school house largely complete with stair and simple unmoulded granite
lintels to ground floor back-to-back fireplaces. Partly blocked fireplace to school
In 1852, Earl Fortescue granted to the minister and church a cottage and garden
enclosure in the village of Michaelstow. This was to be used for the education of
children and adults, or children only of labouring, manufacturing and other poorer
classes in the parish of Michaelstow.
Maclean, Sir J. Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the
County of Cornwall 1879.
Listing NGR: SX0800878842
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings