This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5838 / 50°35'1"N
Longitude: -4.7195 / 4°43'10"W
OS Eastings: 207577
OS Northings: 79538
OS Grid: SX075795
Mapcode National: GBR N2.DKKH
Mapcode Global: FRA 170J.76F
Plus Code: 9C2QH7MJ+G6
Entry Name: Methodist Chapel
Listing Date: 13 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143537
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68575
Location: Michaelstow, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: Michaelstow
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Tudy with Michaelstow
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 07 NE
6/133 Methodist Chapel
Bible Christian chapel and Sunday school, now Methodist Church. 1828 (datestone).
Built by Edward Hocken. Stone rubble with granite quoins, rendered on front. Slate
roof with hipped ends. Brick stack in rear hipped end.
Plan : overall rectangular-on-plan. Front entrance into the auditorium with the
rostrum at the opposite end behind which is a folding wooden screen partitioning off
the small Sunday School. Beyond which at the far end is a small carriage house for a
horse and trap. In the early C20 a porch was added to the chapel entrance.
Exterior : Single storey. Circa early C20 rendered porch with slate hipped roof to
front. Right hand side has 2 circa late C19 or early C20 4-pane sashes in altered
openings with yellow brick dressings. C19 4-panel door to Sunday school and double
plank doors to trap house beyond. 3 late C19 or early C20 4-pane sashes with yellow
brick dressings in left hand side wall.
Interior : Complete early C19 furnishings with low pitch pine box pews and rostrum.
Folding wooden plank screen to rear of rostrum dividing chapel and Sunday school.
C19 fireplace with cast iron register grate in Sunday school. 1863-4 circuit plan on
Shaw, T Methodism in the Camelford and Wade bridge Circuit 1743-1963. 1963
Stell, C RCHM unpublished inventory of non-conformist chapels
Listing NGR: SX0757779538
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings