This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1706 / 50°10'14"N
Longitude: -5.4443 / 5°26'39"W
OS Eastings: 154148
OS Northings: 35739
OS Grid: SW541357
Mapcode National: GBR DXY7.70L
Mapcode Global: VH12M.LZ53
Plus Code: 9C2P5HC4+67
Entry Name: St Erth Station
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143618
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70342
Location: St. Erth, Cornwall, TR27
Civil Parish: St. Erth
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Erth
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST ERTH ST ERTH
13/252 St Erth Station
Railway station including all its buildings and footbridge. Circa 1852 and later C19
built for the West Cornwall Railway. Rock-faced granite brought to course with
granite dressings. Dry Delabole slate roofs ; hipped with wide eaves to main
building ; gable ends to guards hut and felted wooden roofs to shelters. Rock-faced
granite axial chimneys.
Plan: Complete station complex serving branch line to St Ives. There are 3 platforms
with double railway tracks between the platforms. The branch line (north)is a
terminus with the main L-shaped building at the end and returning onto the north
platform. This building contains the offices, luggage and waiting rooms. There is a
canopy over the entrances (west front) and at rear for the full width. This rear
canopy is linked to a double-sided canopy which serves the main central platform.
This platform is linked to the west-branch (south) platform by an open-sided but
roofed footbridge (U-shaped on plan). On the south platform is a small
shelter/waiting room and a small stone guards hut with masonry at the chimney end
keyed for extension (presumably never built).
Exterior: Single storey. The station is virtually complete and unaltered since
built. Main building has plinth, round-arched window and doorway openings
original ledged and braced doors with 3-pane fanlights and original 6-pane horned
sashes. Canopies are carried on pierced iron brackets and have fascias of vertical
boards with splat ball pendants (at the front) and moulded cornices. 4 window west
entrance front has pair of central windows flanked by 2 doorways all protected by a
canopy and windows left and right. Similar details at rear (exit front). Platform
canopies are carried on a double colonnade of chamfered wood posts and the mono-pitch
roof is cantelevered out on iron brackets. The fascias are pierced and cusped to the
lower edge. Footbridge is an iron structure with double-pitched roof carried on
stanchions and with an eaves fascia similar to the canopies. Canopy on the south
platform is smaller and one sided but otherwise similarly detailed to the main
shelter. The guards hut is probably the oldest building at the station and has 3-
light mullioned window and doorway to the front.
Interior: Where inspected is largely unaltered and retains most of the original
carpentry and joinery details.
There is a K6 telephone box towards the left of the west entrance front.
Listing NGR: SW5414835739
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings