This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1081 / 50°6'29"N
Longitude: -5.6094 / 5°36'33"W
OS Eastings: 142025
OS Northings: 29356
OS Grid: SW420293
Mapcode National: GBR DXJD.HD5
Mapcode Global: VH05G.QJDY
Entry Name: Church of Saint Credan
Listing Date: 15 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143822
English Heritage Legacy ID: 69827
Location: Sancreed, Cornwall, TR20
Civil Parish: Sancreed
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Sancreed
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 42 NW
5/287 Church of Saint Credan
Parish church. Norman font and reset Norman doorway in north wall, circa late C14 -
early C15 tower, otherwise C15 largely rebuilt in restoration of 1881-91 by J.D.
Sedding. Granite ashlar tower, otherwise dressed granite and rubble roughly coursed.
Dry Delabole slate roofs with granite coped gable ends. Granite ashlar chimney over
right hand wall of north transept.
Plan: Originally probably a cruciform church but extended and remodelled in the C15.
Nave/chancel under one roof; north transept, circa late C14 west tower,with external
stair turret against the north wall. C15 south aisle (probably largely rebuilt 1881-
91), with canted rood stair projection, and C15 south porch. Medieval doorways and
original windows to tower; C15 5-light chancel east window; other windows are C19
copies of C15 windows incorporating some C15 masonry. Re-roofed in the C19 re-using
some fragments of the C15 roofs.
Exterior: Unaltered single-stage unbuttressed embattled west tower with pinnacles
over the corners. Pointed-arched hollow-chamfered west doorway, 2-light
Perpendicular windows with traceried heads.
North doorway is roll-moulded with a monolithic tympanum set back within a rubble
arch. C15 4-centred south porch doorway is hollow chamfered; sundial over inscribed;
A C fecit 1752. C15 4-centred arched inner doorway with square hoodmould over and
there is a blocked ogee-arched-headed priests doorway towards the east end of the
Interior: C19 plastered walls; late C14 or early C15 pointed tower arch over moulded
imposts; C15 5-bay arcade between nave/chancel and south aisle with roll-moulded
piers; similar 2-bay arcade between nave and north transept; arched rood stair
doorway; holy water stoup in porch; predominantly C19 waggon roofs with reused C15
roof timbers in roof of south aisle and virtually complete C15 waggon roof with C19
carved bosses in the porch.
Fittings: Norman font with 4 angels holding shields; C15 carved panelled base of
former rood screen with some original paint. Otherwise C19 fittings in the
Monuments: Marble wall monument to John Scobell of Poltair (formerly of
Nancealvern), died 1825 aged 41; Tuscan aedicule with segmentally arched pediment to
William Alexander Stanhope Forbes, 1893-1916, born at Trewarveneth, later student of
architecture at Bedales School, killed at Guilbmont in the Somme battlefield. The
monument has a bronze half-length portrait in relief by Stanhope A Forbes (Newlyn
School of painters).
Listing NGR: SW4202529356
Other nearby listed buildings