This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4354 / 50°26'7"N
Longitude: -4.9392 / 4°56'21"W
OS Eastings: 191368
OS Northings: 63635
OS Grid: SW913636
Mapcode National: GBR ZN.5MTP
Mapcode Global: FRA 07JX.5JH
Entry Name: Bank House
Listing Date: 21 January 1985
Last Amended: 12 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1144073
English Heritage Legacy ID: 71251
Location: St. Columb Major, Cornwall, TR9
Civil Parish: St. Columb Major
Built-Up Area: St Columb Major
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Columb Major
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST COLUMB MAJOR NORTH STREET, St Columb Major
17/250 Bank House
(formerly listed as Bank House,
21.1.85 Market Place)
Bank, now house. 1857, by William White (1825 - 1900). Few later alterations.
Polychromatic dressed stone rubble front, including elvan, slatestone, granite and
limestone, with brick. Slate roof with crested ridge tiles and stepped raised coped
verges to the gable ends. Gable end stack to left and cross finial to right gable
Plan: Asymmetrical double depth plan; the front entrance leads to an internal porch,
with access only to the banking hall to right. To front left is a large principal
room. Behind these is a wide lateral corridor with the stair hall at the left end,
rooms to rear right and the other principal room in a wing to rear left. The plan is
intact, including functional details such as the vault with safe leading off the
banking hall. High Victorian Gothic style.
Exterior: 2 storeys on cellar with attic; an asymmetrical 3-window front, on tall
chamfered plinth, with weathered buttress to right and left and corbelled eaves. The
cellar has two 3-light windows to left and one single light to right, those to left
with stone columns rising to pointed arches; all cellar windows have very fine
wrought iron grilles in free Gothic design. Ground floor has central 2-centred
arched doorway with roll-moulding, plank double doors with strap hinges, the woodwork
set in a diagonal. Buttress to right and left, hood mould and relieving arch in
banded brick and granite. Two 4-pane sashes to left with 2-centred arched fanlight
with stained glass, banded relieving arch. 3-light windows to right, with 4-pane
sashes, 2 marble columns between with chamfered capitals and 2-centred arched
fanlight over the polychromatic tiling, banded relieving arches. First floor has
double granite string course, flush with the wall, and three 2-light windows with 2-
centred arches and central marble columns with chamfered capitals, banded relieving
arches. Three flat-roofed leaded dormers with 2-light pivoted windows, with corbels
to eaves. All the windows are the originals.
The left side has a shallow external stack to the front range and single pointed
arched ventilator to the cellar. The central bay is over the stair hall; there is a
tall steep 3-storey gabled bay with 4-light window with chamfered lights at ground
and first floors; attic has 2-light window with tracery circle above and pointed
arch. To right there is a triple lancet to the cellar and rectangular chamfered
cellar light. Ground floor has 2-light window with cusped lights and tall 2-light
window lighting the stair, with pointed arches and upper quatrefoil, with a half-
hipped gable over. The end bay to left has a shallow external stack to the rear
The right side has the gable end of the front range, of 2 storeys with attic; cellar
has single pointed arched light with similar wrought iron grille. Ground floor has
2-light window with 4-pane sashes, central marble column supporting a 2-centred arch
with polychromatic tiling and banded relieving arch. First floor has 2-light window,
with central marble column supporting 2 pointed arches standing free of the window
surface, with banded relieving arches. Second floor has 2 lancets with banded
relieving arches. The stonework is continued as on front. The rear of the front
range has stack with granite quoins. Set in the angle to the rear range is a
conservatory, which appears to be of later C19, but on the foundations of an original
conservatory. Above is a multi-pane window lighting the first floor landing.
Narrower gable end to right of the rear range. This has the plinth at ground floor
level, with the slope of the ground falling away to the rear of the house. First
floor has single chamfered light and paired pointed arched lights with free marble
column and banded relieving arches.
At the rear, the main range has 4-light chamfered window to cellar,and pointed arched
doorway, door with strap hinges. Ground floor has 4-pane sash with 2-centred arch
and fanlight with stained glass, banded relieving arch; to right a similar 2-centred
arched single light. At first floor to right a tall narrow 2-centred arched light.
The inner side of the rear wing has canted bay through cellar and ground floor
levels; at cellar level a plain door. Ground floor has window with transom and
corbelled eaves, hipped roof over. The rear gable end of the wing has buttress to
right and left with plinth at cellar level. 5-light chamfered window to cellar.
Ground floor has 3 pointed arched lights with stained glass fanlights, chamfered
granite surround and banded relieving arch. At first floor a triple light with 2
free-standing marble columns with chamfered granite arches, banded relieving arch.
Small pointed arched light to attic and cross finial.
Interior: The interior has had very few alterations; most of the features designed by
William White remain intact. The entrance at the front leads to the vestibule to the
bank; this is vaulted with chamfered granite ribs and bosses with carved stone masks;
set in the stonework of the rear wall are 2 pieces of slate carved with leaves in low
relief. Half-glazed double doors with pointed arch to right. The banking hall has
stone chimneypiece to rear, in Gothic style, with granite surround and polychromatic
tiles. The windows have stone columns set behind the outer mullions and heavy
shutters with rise from floor level on wooden runners. The bank vault is set behind
the vestibule, and has a heavy-door and a safe.
The lateral passage is to rear; all doors are 6-panelled and chamfered. Open-well
stair with panel balustrade with a free-flying moulded handrail. To rear right, the
room has a chimneypiece with cupboards to sides. The main rooms at ground floor have
shutters in a Gothic design with large chevrons at the top.
The room to front left has a fine stone Gothic chimneypiece in slate and marble with
columns to sides, 2-centred arch and polychromatic tiled surround, marble mantel.
The rear left room has a similar Gothic chimneypiece with marble column and 2-centred
arch, polychromatic tiles and marble mantel. The window at the rear of the room has
marble columns between the lights and columns at each side of the bay window to the
side, all in different coloured marbles. The rear window has a window seat and there
is dado panelling in the bay window. Corbelled cornice.
At first floor, all the original 6-panelled doors remain with segmental arches. All
chimneypieces are in Gothic design, simpler than those on the ground floor, with
wooden mantels with brackets. Fine cupboard with panelled doors on the first floor
Bank House is a very fine example of William White's architecture, where the
influence can be seen of Sir G. G. Scott, in whose office he was before he set up
practice in Truro in 1847. The details are very good, such as window fittings, and
the plan is straightforward and functional.
Listing NGR: SW9136863635
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings