This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3646 / 50°21'52"N
Longitude: -4.6422 / 4°38'31"W
OS Eastings: 212179
OS Northings: 54972
OS Grid: SX121549
Mapcode National: GBR N6.VFD5
Mapcode Global: FRA 1852.F9R
Plus Code: 9C2Q9975+R4
Entry Name: River House
Listing Date: 28 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1144170
English Heritage Legacy ID: 71001
Location: St. Sampson, Cornwall, PL23
Civil Parish: St. Sampson
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Sampson (or Golant)
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST SAMPSON CHURCH HILL, Golant
SX 15 SW
9/252 River House
Vicarage, now house. Probably C18, extended and remodelled circa 1840, with later
alterations of C19 and C20. Slatestone rubble, partly rendered, partly painted.
Hipped slate roofs with lead rolls to hips and ridge, rendered stacks.
Plan: the house is in 2 parallel ranges, with the early building to the front,
originally of 3-room plan, but substantially remodelled when the rear range was added
circa 1840. The rear range projects to the left, and has service rooms to the rear
of the original range, with stair hall to the centre. An entrance hallway has been
formed in the front range, leading through to the stair hall at the rear; there is a
service corridor with pantry leading to the kitchen in a rear wing to right, which
may be of the orignal building. In the front range, the room to left is heated by a
rear lateral stack, as is the room to left, axial stack heating the central room.
The remodelling is in a picturesque Gothick style; although circa 1840, it looks more
like C18 Gothic revival.
2 storeys, the entrance front has 3 bays to left and blind bay to right; in painted
rubble. To the left, there is a central C20 door retaining the Gothick head, which
is an ogee head with fanlight and recessed spandrels; to right and left, a 2-light
casement, each with diamond lattice glazing, ogee head over each light with splayed
glazing bars and decorative foliage in the spandrels, square hood mould. At first
floor, 4 tall gabled dormers, each with pointed arched single light casement with
similar glazing and pointed arched fanlight; arranged 3 to left and one to right.
The right side has C20 door and mid C19 16-pane sash at ground floor, two 12-pane
sashes and central C20 light at first floor. The left side faces the garden, and has
the left end of the front range in painted rubble, the later range projecting to left
and rendered. The early range has a canted bay through 2 storeys, with bellcast
hipped roof rising to the main ridge level. At ground floor, 4 ogee lights, with
diamond glazing and plain spandrels, at first floor 4 ogee lights with splayed
glazing bars to heads and decorated spandrels, at first floor 4 ogee lights with
splayed glazing bars to heads and decorated spandrels. The projecting bay to left
has a narrow canted bay through 2 storeys, 4 ogee lights at each level, with similar
glazing and plain spandrels. The rear has one gabled dormer with pointed arched
single light and diamond glazing to the centre of the main range, a C20 addition;
there is a gable over the stair hall with a single pointed arched light. Single
storey lean-to addition along the rear of the main range.
Interior The interior has been altered in the C20, with Gothick features introduced
in the front left room in the front range; however this retains plasterwork on the
ceiling of the Gothick phase, a star of the east. Plain moulded cornice, partially
renewed. Open well stair with stick balusters to rear centre of house. At first
floor, the room to front left has 2 rear corner cupboards with ogee arches, and
central plasterwork on the ceiling, a cluster of oak leaves.
Listing NGR: SX1217954972
Other nearby listed buildings