History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.


A Grade II Listed Building in Colan, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.3985 / 50°23'54"N

Longitude: -5 / 5°0'0"W

OS Eastings: 186885

OS Northings: 59699

OS Grid: SW868596

Mapcode National: GBR ZJ.8XHF

Mapcode Global: FRA 07DZ.ZVJ

Plus Code: 9C2P9XXX+9X

Entry Name: Coswarth

Listing Date: 7 January 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1144174

English Heritage Legacy ID: 71009

Location: Colan, Cornwall, TR8

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Colan

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Columb Minor and Colan

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Tagged with: Farmhouse

Find accommodation in
Saint Columb Road Station


SW 85 NE
11/4 Coswarth

Farmhouse. Circa late C16 - early C17 origin; extended in circa early-mid C18, dated
1761, with additions and alterations of C19 and later alterations. Slatestone and
granite rubble with granite dressings. Hipped slate and asbestos slate roofs, with
rear lateral stacks to the two rooms in the main range. End stacks with brick
Plan: L-plan, with a wing to rear right and a stair tower in the angle to rear. All
that remains of the original late C16 - early C17 house is the right-hand range,
which appears to be a parlour cross-wing of a larger house whose main range to the
left has been rebuilt in 1761 (datestone) and early C19 and the lower left end
demolished. The left-hand range may be a rebuilding on the site of or in front of
the hall. Outhouses of circa C18 were attached at the left side, enclosing a small
service yard.
Exterior: Asymmetrical 2-storey front, with the C18 range to left and the early range
to right, with a straight joint between. To right, at ground floor, there is an 8-
light granite window, hollow-chamfered, with king mullion and mullions. This may be
the right end room of the original cross-wing, the rooms to left replaced by the C18
building. At first floor there is a 12-pane sash. The bay to left has C20 door,
with 12-pane sash at ground floor and 16-pane sash at first floor. Datestone HE 1761
above the door. End bay set back to left, with 16-pane sash of C19 at ground and
first floor.
At the left side, the end wall is blind. Attached to left a pair of C19 piers with
re-used octagonal stone caps with ball finials, forming the entrance to the service
yard. Part of an unglazed stone mullioned window is incorporated in to the pier to
left. There is an L-plan range of 2-storey rubble outhouses with corrugated asbestos
roofs joining the outer pier to the house. The range of outhouses to left has 2
doors and a 16-pane sash at ground floor, two 2-light casements at first floor. The
range adjoining the house has 3 doors and 2 windows at upper level. The inner side
of the house has a projection for the stair to right, with a 15-pane light. To left,
C20 door and 16-pane sash, with two C20 windows at first floor. The right side of
the house has a large external stack to left. To right there are three 12-pane
sashes and one 16-pane sash at first floor ; ground floor has 12-pane sash, 2-light
casements to the central room and a stack to right with a C20 window at each side.
This is in sqaure granite rubble. The end window to right was formerly a doorway.
Interior: The front entrance leads into a large entrance hall, with stair to rear
left; open-well stair with stick balusters. To right there is a doorway leading into
the early range ; this has a flat head, in granite, with roll and hollow moulding and
vase with run-out stops. The central room in the early range was partitioned
probably in circa C18, as dairy and larder, with a 2-panelled door with ventilation
holes to the room to left. The partition forms a narrow passage, giving access to
the main front room and the rear room in the wing. The rear room is heated from a
stack at the right side ; the fireplace is in granite, with flat head, roll and
hollow moulding with the same stops as the outer doorway.

Listing NGR: SW8688559699

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.