This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4079 / 50°24'28"N
Longitude: -4.6705 / 4°40'13"W
OS Eastings: 210338
OS Northings: 59852
OS Grid: SX103598
Mapcode National: GBR N5.RL3V
Mapcode Global: FRA 173Z.28M
Entry Name: Methodist Free Church and Attached Sunday School and Gates
Listing Date: 28 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1144258
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70805
Location: Lostwithiel, Cornwall, PL22
Civil Parish: Lostwithiel
Built-Up Area: Lostwithiel
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lostwithiel
Church of England Diocese: Truro
LOSTWITHIEL ALBERT TERRACE, Lostwithiel
SX 15 NW
10/55 Methodist Free Church and attached
- Sunday School and gates
Methodist Free Church with attached Sunday School and gates. Dated 1900. Snecked
slatestone rubble with snecked granite plinth and limestone dressings; slate roof
with crested ridge tiles, gable end to rear and gable end to front with raised coped
Single auditorium plan, with front gable end to road; porch tower to left and right
of front. Connecting wing slightly set back to right, leading to the Sunday School,
which has a main hall with gable end to front and tower to front left.
Front in 3 bays, on plinth with initialled foundation stones. Centre bay has
limestone pilasters, surmounted by corbelled shafts rising to pinnacles, gable with
ball finial on stem to centre. In the gable, limestone band course with inscription:
Methodist Free Church, in upper case lettering, paired round-headed light above with
hood mould. Large central 6-light window with round heads to upper lights and round-
headed sidelights, ogee hood with date 1900 carved at centre; trefoil finial and
shafts to sides with ball finials.
The porch tower to left is of 3 storeys, with the top storey set back above moulded
string course, hipped roof with gablets. Square-headed light at ground floor, round-
headed light at first floor to front and left side, triple round-headed lights at 2nd
floor to front and left side; left side has 6-panelled door, upper panels with round
heads, with 3-pane round arched overlight. Wrought iron gates to front enclosing the
entrance to the porch tower.
Porch tower to right of 3 storeys with lantern; windows and door at ground, first and
2nd floor as on porch tower to left. The lantern is octagonal, with scrolled
corbel/supporters; each side has round-headed light, alternate lights with pediment
over; ogee octagonal lead roof with weathervane. Wrought iron gates enclosing the
The left side of the auditorium is in random rubble with brick dressings, 4 bays, all
mullion and transom windows with round-arched upper lights, in brick surrounds with
cambered heads at ground and first floor. 1½ storey rendered lean-to to rear left
with door and first floor window.
The connecting wing to the Sunday School to right has ground floor triple square-
headed lights, first floor triple round-headed light, with central light taller. 2-
storey tower with hexagonal pitched roof with gablets. Ground floor inner side of
tower has 6-panelled door with triple round-headed overlight, round-headed light
above ; 2 sides to front have single square-headed light at ground floor and single
round-headed light at first floor. The front gable end of the Sunday School hall is
to right; 2 tall round-headed 2-light windows, with round-headed lights and rounded
to top; coped gable over with limestone bandcourse with inscription: Sunday School,
in upper case lettering. Single round-headed light above. To each side of gable, a
pedestal with ogee cap and ball finial.
Interior Not inspected.
Listing NGR: SX1033859852
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings