This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4077 / 50°24'27"N
Longitude: -4.6699 / 4°40'11"W
OS Eastings: 210383
OS Northings: 59837
OS Grid: SX103598
Mapcode National: GBR N5.RL9C
Mapcode Global: FRA 173Z.2JC
Entry Name: Old Malt House and Lease Stone
Listing Date: 18 October 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146330
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70864
Location: Lostwithiel, Cornwall, PL22
Civil Parish: Lostwithiel
Built-Up Area: Lostwithiel
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lostwithiel
Church of England Diocese: Truro
LOSTWITHIEL NORTH STREET, Lostwithiel
SX 15 NW
10/112 Old Malt House and Lease Stone
House, with shop at ground floor. Dated 1658 on lease stone, possibly incorporating
earlier materials, with alterations for shop of mid-late C19 and C20 alterations.
Slatestone and granite rubble, rendered front to North Street. Hipped asbestos slate
roof with ridge tiles and stack to left side.
This appears to have been a 3-room and through passage plan, with one room to right
of passage and 2 to left; the left end of the house fronts North Street, with the
lease stone on the corner to front left. The left end room, now front room facing
North Street was converted as a shop in mid-late C19, with entrances remaining to
left and right sides.
2 storeys, front to North Street has C20 plate-glass shop window with half-glazed
door to right. C20 2-light window at first floor. The lease stone, set as a quoin
to left has inscription: Walter Kendal of Lostwithiel was founder of-this house in
1658 Hath a lease for three thousand years which had beginning the 29th of September
Anno 1658 (all lettering upper case). The left side, in rubble, has at ground floor 2
C20 windows under one timber lintel, formerly deeper openings, with cut granite
masonry between; 2 blocked doors with timber lintels and half-glazed door; blocked
window to end right. Right side rendered, and roughly divided in 4 bays,; the first
bay has C20 window at first floor. Second bay has small C20 window at ground floor
and large C20 window at first floor, gable over. Third bay has granite doorway with
4-centred arch, chamfered and step-stopped, with C20 studded door, C20 window to left
and above. End bay has no windows. Rear also rendered, with gable end, two 2-light
C20 casement at first floor.
Interior Not inspected.
Listing NGR: SX1038359837
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings