History in Structure

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Workington, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.6457 / 54°38'44"N

Longitude: -3.5553 / 3°33'19"W

OS Eastings: 299734

OS Northings: 528956

OS Grid: NX997289

Mapcode National: GBR 3GMQ.2F

Mapcode Global: WH5YP.CH7C

Plus Code: 9C6RJCWV+7V

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 6 June 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1144492

English Heritage Legacy ID: 72305

Also known as: St Michael's Church, Workington

ID on this website: 101144492

Location: St Michael's Church, Workington, Cumberland, Cumbria, CA14

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

Civil Parish: Workington

Built-Up Area: Workington

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Workington St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in



5/80 Church of St Michael


Parish Church. C12 tower, nave rebuilt in 1770 and after a fire in 1888 by
Bassett Smith and James Howes. Hammer-dressed pink and calciferous sandstone, the
rebuilding of similar material but with red sandstone quoins, string course and
battlemented parapet with crocketed finials, all on chamfered plinth. Graduated
greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finials. West 3-storey tower with
9-bay nave and aisles; single-bay chancel with north vestry. Tower base is C12
with upper storeys of 1770. Elliptical-arched west doorway under Perpendicular-
style overlight. Painted west clock face with Roman numerals under Perpendicular-
style bell openings. Nave and aisles are wholly 1888 with traceried 2- and
3-light windows on 2 levels. Chancel has large traceried east window. Single-
storey polygonal vestry. Interior of tower/porch has medieval pedestal font with
octagonal carved bowl. C12 tower arch has broach-stopped hollow chamfer.
Built-in C12 cushion capital, medieval slab and cross fragments. Various C19 wall
plaques. Interior of nave has barrel roof with braces. 4-bay aisles. C19
gallery. Variety of late C19 and early C20 stained glass. Side chapel has carved
and painted reredos 1933. Chancel has C19 piscina and sedilia. Effigies of
Sir Christopher Curwen and his wife, 1450, on tomb base with heraldic side panels.

Listing NGR: NX9973428956

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.