This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.2538 / 50°15'13"N
Longitude: -4.8236 / 4°49'25"W
OS Eastings: 198810
OS Northings: 43130
OS Grid: SW988431
Mapcode National: GBR ZW.529G
Mapcode Global: FRA 08SC.8LZ
Entry Name: Methodist Church with Attached Sunday School and Coach House
Listing Date: 15 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1144756
English Heritage Legacy ID: 71621
Location: St. Goran, Cornwall, PL26
Civil Parish: St. Goran
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Goran
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST GORAN GORRAN HIGHLANES
SW 94 SE
3/123 Methodist Church with attached
- Sunday school and coach house
Methodist church with attached Sunday school and coach house. Circa 1816, with
alterations and additions of 1862 and in the 1870s. Slatestone rubble with Pentewan
stone dressings and quoins; the Sunday school and coach house have brick dressings.
Slate roof with crested ridge tiles and gable ends.
Plan: Single auditorium plan, with the entrance at the front gable end and ritual
east to rear. Attached at the rear is a 2-storey addition, probably of 1862, with
coach house and stabling at ground floor and Sunday school on the first floor.
Exterior: The front gable end has C19 panelled double doors with cambered brick arch.
Round-arched window above with Pentewan stone dressings and keystone, with 8-panes
and Gothic glazing bars; circular brick recess above. At the left side the church
has two round-arched windows with Pentewan stone arches and late C19 sashes with
margin glazing. At the right side there are two similar round-arched windows with
margin-glazing sashes. At the left side there is a straight joint in the masonry to
the addition for coach house and Sunday school. There are plank double doors with
timber lintel and brick relieving arch to left and a single half-glazed C19 door with
sidelights and cambered brick arch to right. At first floor there are two late C19
margin-glazed sashes with cambered brick arches. The right side of the Sunday school
has two similar sashes at first floor. At the rear there is a shallow 2-storey
addition in brick, containing a stair with plank door at ground floor and late C19
margin-glazed sash with round arch at first floor.
Interior: Not inspected, but may retain features of the early C19, such as panelling
and church fittings.
In 1814 Joseph Lawry of Tregarthen applied to the Bishop of Exeter for a license for
a Wesleyan meeting house at Highlanes. The first trustees were appointed in 1816, by
which time the building seems to have been completed.
Sources: Hawkridge, C.: A History of Gorran.
Listing NGR: SW9881043130
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings