This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.241 / 50°14'27"N
Longitude: -4.7884 / 4°47'18"W
OS Eastings: 201270
OS Northings: 41613
OS Grid: SX012416
Mapcode National: GBR ZX.HZH1
Mapcode Global: FRA 08VD.BB7
Plus Code: 9C2Q66R6+CM
Entry Name: Church of St Just
Listing Date: 10 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1144785
English Heritage Legacy ID: 71594
Location: St. Goran, Cornwall, PL26
Civil Parish: St. Goran
Built-Up Area: Gorran Haven
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Goran
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST GORAN CHURCH STREET (east side), Gorran
SX 0041 0141 Haven
5/96 Church of St Just
Chapel of ease. C15; sold by Queen Elizabeth I in 1568; partially repaired in circa
mid C18 and restored in 1885 for use as a chapel. Slatestone rubble with granite
dressings. Slate roof with crested ridge tiles and gable ends with raised coped
verges; cross finial to east.
Plan: Nave and chancel in one, with south doorway into the nave. West tower.
Exterior: The nave and chancel are on a stone rubble plinth; the south side of the
nave has a 2-light window to left and 3-light window to right, with cusped lights,
square head and hood mould. The south doorway has 4-centred arch with roll-mouldings
and recessed spandrels with carved leaves, square hood mould with shield stops; C19
plank door with strap hinges. There is an image niche above the doorway with moulded
ogee arch and cill carved with leaves. The north side has two 2-light windows with
cusped ogee lights, square head and hood mould; rebuilt in C19. The east end of the
chancel has 3-light Perpendicular window with 4-centred arch, hood mould and
relieving arch, with cusped ogee lights.
The west tower is on chamfered plinth, with canted stair tower with lancets to north;
string course and embattled parapet. The west doorway has 4-centred arch, with roll-
mouldings and recessed spandrels with carved shields, square hood mould with label
stops; C19 door. 3-light Perpendicular west window with cusped ogee lights, hollow-
moulded surround, 4-centred arch and hood mould. Cusped lancet with slate louvres
above. The south side of the tower has two lancets with pierced slate ventilators;
to east one cusped lancet. The battlements are raised over the stair tower.
Interior: Slatestone rubble walls with Pentewan stone dressings. C19 wagon roof
with moulded ribs and carved bosses. Tall 3-centred tower arch with shafts to sides
with ring-moulded capitals. 3-centred arched chamfered doorway to north to tower
stair with C19 door; this leads to a chamfered doorway at upper level. Late C19
wooden screen across an upper gallery. The windows in the nave have chamfered rere-
arches, the one on the south side in Pentewan stone. The east window has 4-centred
arched rere-arch. The chancel has 3-centred arched chamfered piscina to south; to
east one aumbry at upper level and one at floor level with the interior of the aumbry
below floor level. Carved stone image stand.
Fittings: Late C19 benches in nave and C19 stone font. The altar rail is made of
carved C15 roof timbers said to have come from the Church of St Goran (q.v.). After
the Church of St Just was sold in 1568, it was used for secular purposes; in 1651,
the fishermen were using it as a store for their tackle, but by 1745 it was described
as a ruin. It was later used as a fish cellar, with an upper floor constructed,
which was used as a meeting-room by the Independents.
Sources: Pevsner N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970. Hawkridge, C.: A History
Listing NGR: SX0127041613
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings