This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6879 / 54°41'16"N
Longitude: -3.3008 / 3°18'2"W
OS Eastings: 316240
OS Northings: 533311
OS Grid: NY162333
Mapcode National: GBR 5GD7.59
Mapcode Global: WH6ZR.8FFK
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 3 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1145219
English Heritage Legacy ID: 72552
Location: Blindcrake, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA13
Civil Parish: Blindcrake
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Binsey Team
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 13 SE
6/27 Church of St Michael
Parish Church. Early C12 with 1878 restoration and additions by C.J. Ferguson.
Calciferous sandstone rubble walls, under graduated greenslate roof with coped
gables and cross finial. 4-bay nave with south porch and twin open bellcote;
3-bay chancel with north vestry. Nave has zig-zag doorway and carved capitals
but the engaged shafts removed; all within C14 gabled stone porch. South wall
has tall round-headed C13 window, smaller rectangular window of similar date and
2 C18 rectangular windows. C19 2-light west window with flanking buttresses.
Blocked north doorway and 2 narrow round-headed C12 windows. South chancel wall
has blocked priest's doorway, a lancet window, round-headed window and 2-light
C15 window. C19 2-light east window. C19 vestry. Interior of porch has
built-in medieval cross-slab fragments. Nave has 4 original window splays, one
to the C18 window. C16 trussed timber roof. Medieval pedestal font with
octagonal bowl. C19 pater boards. South wall has remains of stone steps to
rood screen. Royal Arms of George I dated 1721. C12 roll-moulded chancel arch
with carved capitals. Anglo-Danish cross-shaft fragments flank south door.
Chancel north wall has original splayed C12 windows and a lancet window.
Fragment of medieval sculpture built into wall. C17 slate wall plaques to the
Lawson family of Isel Hall flank altar. Further fragment of Anglo-Danish cross
shaft. Brass wall plaque to Thomas de Sandes, died 1415; and various C19 brass
wall plaques. C19 furnishings and fittings, and early C20 hanging oil lamps.
Listing NGR: NY1623833310
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings