History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Matterdale Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Matterdale, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5935 / 54°35'36"N

Longitude: -2.9387 / 2°56'19"W

OS Eastings: 339441

OS Northings: 522440

OS Grid: NY394224

Mapcode National: GBR 7HXB.K4

Mapcode Global: WH81F.TSSX

Entry Name: Matterdale Church

Listing Date: 27 December 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1145247

English Heritage Legacy ID: 74556

Location: Matterdale, Eden, Cumbria, CA11

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Matterdale

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Matterdale

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Dockray

Listing Text

In the entry for:- MATTERDALE A5091 (east side)

Matterdale Church
5/154 dedication unknown)

The previous listing date "27-12-67" shall be added

------------------------------------

MATTERDALE A5091 (east side) )
NY 32 SE
5/154 Matterdale Church
(dedication unknown)
-

- II*
Church. Date: 1573, on tie beam, tower, 1848. Stone rubble with slobbered
mortar and slate roof. Single-vessel nave and chancel and west tower. North
elevation of 5 bays; windows have wooden cross-mullions and small-paned glazing
with opening lights; roof light. South elevation similar; gabled porch between
1st and 2nd bays has pointed entrance with fanlight. Datestone between 4th and
5th bays, possible from gateway, inscribed: "IW CHURCHWARDEN/1686/CS MASON",
inserted in 1848. Tower has diagonal buttresses and saddleback roof with
crow-stepped gables; triangular-headed bell openings with slate louvres. East
elevation has gable cross and straight-headed window; memorial attached to wall
has swan-necked pediment and slate panel recording Margaret Dawson, wife of a
local bone setter, (died 1728). Interior massive fish-bone trusses with
diagonal struts, that to east end inscribed: "MDXXXX/XXIII LPIALWPI/W" (LP 0
Lancelot Pattinson). Pews probably 1750, but one dated 1686. Font in form of
baluster, probably late C17; font to west end is octagonal, brought from
Greystoke church, date uncertain. 2-decker pulpit with tester and reading desk,
formed from 3-decker pulpit. Sanctuary has 1881 choir pew facing late C17 altar
and 3-sided altar rail with turned balusters and moulded top rail. East window
has stained glass by Kempe, 1881, Adoration of the Shepherds. A good example of
a traditional Lakeland church retaining many features of interest.


Listing NGR: NY3944122440

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.