This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.6705 / 54°40'13"N
Longitude: -2.8513 / 2°51'4"W
OS Eastings: 345197
OS Northings: 530940
OS Grid: NY451309
Mapcode National: GBR 8GJF.HJ
Mapcode Global: WH813.5VJV
Entry Name: Fort Putnam Farmhouse, Barns, Byres, Cow House, Wall and Gateway
Listing Date: 27 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1145543
English Heritage Legacy ID: 73778
Location: Dacre, Eden, Cumbria, CA11
Civil Parish: Dacre
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Dacre St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 43 SE DACRE GREYSTOKE
13/57 Fort Putnam:
27.12.67 byres, cow house,
wall and gateway
Folly farmhouse and outbuildings built to resemble a fort. Late C18 for the
11th Duke of Norfolk, commemorating the success of the American War of
Independence. Early C19 extensions, and alterations dated and inscribed H.C.H.
1892 (Henry Charles Howard). Red sandstone ashlar walls, partly rendered, with
string courses, battlemented parapet and V-jointed quoins, on chamfered plinth.
Lean-to graduated greenslate roofs, with large banded red sandstone chimney
stacks. 2-storey, 3-bay farmhouse with flanking lower stables/barn and
adjoining single-storey, 5-bay cow house, built along one side of farmyard; the
other 2 sides enclosed by L-shaped barn/byres joined to the farmhouse range by
an archway; the whole outer wall takes the form of a continuous battlemented
curtain wall, making a rough overall U-shape. Outer farmhouse wall is higher
and polygonal, each angled wall with a tall blind pointed arch. Within 2 of the
centre arches are C20 windows on 2 levels, all in C19 stone surrounds; a further
left arch has a round vent. The right arch is covered by the early C19 cow
house which is divided into 5 bays by tall semicircular piers, ringed at the top
by coronets of stiff stone petals, from which rise cones with balls on top, like
chessmen. Between the piers are round-headed recesses, each with a blocked
round vent. Around the left corner of the farmhouse is a tall pointed-arched
gateway giving access to the farmyard. Early C19 curtain wall extension to left
forms one wall of the C19 barn/byre range from which rises a square central
turret. The inner walls of the courtyard are not as impressive as the exterior;
the farmhouse has late C19 doorways and windows, dated and inscribed on a wall
panel. The inner wall of the cow house is simply square piers supporting a
sloping roof. Barn/byre range has 3 segmental arches under pointed-arched loft
doorways; the right-angled barn has 2 pointed cart entrances on both sides and
slit vents on 2 levels. In its original form this resembled Bunkers Hill
nearby, but with its extensions it is now the most impressive of a group of
farmhouse follies in the Greystoke area. See Barbara Jones, Follies &
Grottoes, 1974, pp.303-4; Country Life, 30 June 1983, pp.1796-1800.
Listing NGR: NY4519730940
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings