This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.2018 / 54°12'6"N
Longitude: -2.5967 / 2°35'48"W
OS Eastings: 361172
OS Northings: 478619
OS Grid: SD611786
Mapcode National: GBR BM9V.MJ
Mapcode Global: WH94P.2NR5
Plus Code: 9C6V6C23+P8
Entry Name: Market Cross
Listing Date: 22 March 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1145758
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75207
Location: Kirkby Lonsdale, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA6
Civil Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale
Built-Up Area: Kirkby Lonsdale
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale Team Ministry
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD 6178 NW
1905. Tudor Gothic. Octagonal stone canopy with low pyramidal slate roof. Eight
equal arches with leaf enrichment in spandrels, four blocked with low parapets.
Each pier buttressed with two setbacks and topped by an obelisk and ball. Round
headed niches in each buttress. Parapet embattled. Large stone cross at apex of
roof. Inside shallow stone rib vault supported on engaged colonnettes. Inscription
on frieze in raised Gothic script: "This Market Cross was presented to the town by
the Rev J.W.Davies D.D. Vicar of Kirkby-Lonsdale from 1889 to 1908. 1905".
Listing NGR: SD6117278619
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings