This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9888 / 54°59'19"N
Longitude: -1.5824 / 1°34'56"W
OS Eastings: 426819
OS Northings: 566100
OS Grid: NZ268661
Mapcode National: GBR STR.K8
Mapcode Global: WHC3K.NVPX
Plus Code: 9C6WXCQ9+G2
Entry Name: Church of St Gabriel and Hall Attached
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1145873
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304625
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE6
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: North Heaton
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle St Gabriel
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 26 NE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE HEATON ROAD
14/6/54 Church of St. Gabriel
and hall attached.
Parish church. 1899 by F. W. Rich; south transept and chapel 1931 by H.L. Hicks.
Snecked sandstone with ashlar plinth and dressings; roofs of graduated Lakeland
slate with overlapping stone gable copings. Cruciform with aisled nave, north and
south porches, north-east tower and porch. Free Gothic style. Moulded and shafted
2-centred arch in south porch flanked by buttresses under steep gable. Paired
lancets to aisle, 4-light Perpendicular- style clerestory windows. 4-light
windows in transept gables and large Decorated west and east windows. Battlemented
north porches. Tower of 3 tall stages has north door, slit windows on second
stage, blind-traceried arcading above and paired 2-light belfry openings.
Frieze with Gothic lettering and corbel table support pierced battlements.
Octagonal corner turrets to west end. Cross finials. Interior: painted plaster
above boarded dado; ashlar dressings; hammer-beam roof, on pilasters and shafted
corbels. 3-bay arcades have nearly-round 2-centred arches on columns with vine-
carved capitals; taller enriched arches to Lady chapel and tower organ loft.
Large carved tryptych reredos with niches and statues. Fresco on east wall.
Rood beam. Alabaster war memorial on north wall has enamel plaques of angels
Michael and Gabriel. North transept has brass memorial to Walter Baston, builder
of the church and church warden, died 1913. Church hall attached to north-east:
similar materials; 1 storey, 4 bays. Stone-mullioned windows under steeply-gabled
dormers breaking eaves. Steeply-pitched roof.
Listing NGR: NZ2681966100
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings