This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1079 / 51°6'28"N
Longitude: -1.8758 / 1°52'33"W
OS Eastings: 408788
OS Northings: 134298
OS Grid: SU087342
Mapcode National: GBR 3ZF.DL0
Mapcode Global: VHB5P.FFP0
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 23 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146258
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320477
Location: South Newton, Wiltshire, SP2
Civil Parish: South Newton
Built-Up Area: South Newton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: South Newton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SOUTH NEWTON WARMINSTER ROAD
SU 03 SE
(east side), South Newton
3/42 Church of St. Andrew
Anglican parish church. C13 chancel, C14, C15 tower, 1861
rebuilding by T.H. Wyatt. Flint and limestone, tiled roof. Plan:
Nave, north aisle, chancel, south vestry, south porch, west tower.
Cl9 timber-framed gabled porch with flint nogging, diamond-leaded
side windows, shouldered inner doorway with round-arch over
tympanum. South side of nave has 2-light cusped C16-style window
with hoodmould, either side. Gabled C19 vestry to right has
pointed moulded doorway with shafts and hoodmould with foliated
capitals, chamfered lancet to right. Chancel has pair of C13
lancets to north and south, angle buttresses to east end; three
stepped lancets with continuous hoodmould with foliated and carved
head terminals. Lean-to organ chamber on north side has pair of
lancets and slate roof. North aisle has pitched roof, group of
three trefoiled lancets, single trefoiled lancet and C15 two-light
Perpendicular window to right. West end of aisle has C19 two-light
plate tracery window, set-back buttresses and shouldered doorway to
basement. Three-stage west tower has set-back buttresses and
string courses, pair of trefoiled lancets to first stage, single
lancet to second and 2-light louvred Perpendicular windows to bell-
stage, moulded string course to plain parapet with gargoyles,
pyramidal tiled roof.
Interior: Nave with 3-bay arch-braced collar truss roof on stone
foliated corbels, plain half-bay collar trusses, flagstone floors.
Three-bay north aisle has C13 cylindrical east pier with plain
pointed arch, C14 octagonal compound pier and respond to two
double-chamfered pointed arches to west, C13-style tower arch with
Purbeck marble shafts, C13-style chancel arch on foliated corbels
with short marble shafts. C19 pointed arch either side of chancel
to organ chamber and to vestry, polychrome tiled floor, painted
inscriptions and symbols on walls, C13-style piscina on north wall,
1951 panelled wooden reredos. Fittings: C19 pews, octagonal font
in nave, pulpit. Good stained glass in east window by Lavers and
Barraud, late C19 glass in north and south chancel windows, glass
in nave to Penruddocke family. Nave wall tablets include two by
Mitchard of Sarum; to Ellen Ford died 1851 and to Sarah Blackmore
died 1849, also Gothic tablet to John Flooks died 1844. Rebuilt at
cost of £1,500.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: SU0878834298
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings