This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9589 / 50°57'31"N
Longitude: -2.081 / 2°4'51"W
OS Eastings: 394405
OS Northings: 117717
OS Grid: ST944177
Mapcode National: GBR 2ZK.W41
Mapcode Global: FRA 66JK.WLY
Entry Name: Church of St Peter Ad Vincula
Listing Date: 6 January 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146278
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320425
Location: Tollard Royal, Wiltshire, SP5
Civil Parish: Tollard Royal
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Tollard Royal St Peter ad Vincula
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 91 NW TOLLARD ROYAL TOLLARD ROYAL VILLAGE
8/199 Church of St. Peter ad Vincula
Anglican parish church. C13, C15, restored 1882. Flint and
limestone, tiled roof. Plan: west tower, nave, north aisle, south
porch and chancel. Gabled south porch has hollow-chamfered Tudor-
arched doorway with flanking buttresses with offsets. South side
of nave to right of porch has cusped lancet, 3-light C16 window
with cusped lights and hoodmould, C13 window with pair of cusped
lancets and trefoil, buttresses with offsets. Chancel has pointed
priest's doorway with pair of cusped lancets to either side, east
end has diagonal buttresses and C19 three-light geometric-style
window with foliated terminals to hoodmould, north side has pair of
cusped lancets and lean-to vestry with cusped light. C19 north
aisle has 3-light geometric-style east window, diagonal buttresses,
pitched roof, pointed north doorway with double doors and 2-light
trefoiled window either side and to west. Two-stage west tower has
moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses, 3-light Perpendicular windows
with hoodmould to west, square-headed cusped light to north, offset
bellstage has 2-light Perpendicular window to each face with
louvres, string course and battlemented parapet with crocketed
Interior: chamfered pointed doorway with planked door with
ornamental strap hinges, panelled porch ceiling. Four-bay C19 nave
roof has scissor bracing to collar and rib-panelled ceiling over.
C19 restored tower arch. Three-bay north arcade has double-
chamfered pointed arches on square piers with simple moulded
capitals, aisle roof has arch-braced collar and tie-beam trusses
and rib-panelling. C19 chancel arch; double-cyma moulded arch on
triple shaft corbels, square hoodmould. Two-bay chancel roof has
cusped principals and rib-panelling, cusped C19 piscina on south
wall, good early C18 communion rails with gate and turned
barleysugar balusters to heavy rail. C19 pews and choir stalls.
Grey marble tablet on north wall of chancel to Robert Barber of
Ashmore with gadrooned apron, fluted pilasters and cornice with urn
finials and heraldic cartouche; Robert Barber died 1686 and
another Robert Barber of Ashcombe (q.v., Berwick St. John C.P.),
died 1740. Gothic memorial to George Pitt-Rivers died 1810 by T.
Gaffin of London. Marble sarcophagus and memorial in semi-circular
niche to General A.H. Lane Fox Pitt-Rivers of Rushmore (q.v.), died
1900 after 20 years of anthropological research, inscription
records him as Inspector of Ancient Monuments. C14 recumbent
knight, Sir William Payne in nave. Fine Italian stained glass in
north aisle by Bertini of Milan, 1867. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings
of England: Wiltshire, 1975).
Listing NGR: ST9440517717
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings