This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4889 / 50°29'20"N
Longitude: -4.7045 / 4°42'16"W
OS Eastings: 208252
OS Northings: 68948
OS Grid: SX082689
Mapcode National: GBR N3.LHF1
Mapcode Global: FRA 171R.T5B
Entry Name: Lancarffe
Listing Date: 6 June 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146396
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67529
Location: Helland, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: Helland
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Bodmin
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 06 NE
House. Probably C17 ; extended and re-oriented circa 1680 ; alterations of early C19
and some C20 alterations and additions. Coursed slatestone rubble. Slate roof with
ridge tiles ; the early range has gable ends, with gable end stacks and rear lateral
stack, all with rubble shafts ; the 1680 range has hipped roof, with scantle slates
on the front slope and lead roll to ridge, sharing the gable end stack to rear left
and with stack to rear right.
Plan: The plan of the original house is uncertain, but what survives of it has a 3-
room plan, with 2 outer rooms heated from gable end stacks ; the rear lateral stack
of the central room is probably a later addition. The house was oriented
north/south, facing west. Circa 1680, the house was re-oriented, east/west, and a
new range was built at the right end, forming a crosswing, the right side becoming
the entrance front, facing south. This is of 2-room plan, forming a symmetrical
front. There is a central entrance to a passage, with a room to right and left,
forming the front principal rooms, with the room to right now used as a kitchen.
Behind this range, and in the angle to the main range, a stair tower was added, also
of circa 1680, with large open-well stair. At the original front, the 1680 range
projects beyond the main range and another short wing was added at the original left
end, so that the original front has a symmetrical U-plan form. A short wing was
added to rear left of the original range. Circa 1930, a range of single storey
service rooms was added to the rear, behind the kitchen, and a porch added behind the
stair tower, which was extended to form an entrance hall at the rear.
Exterior: The original west front of the house forms the garden front. This is 2-
storey, a symmetrical 5-bay front on plinth, with projecting shallow 2-storey wing to
each end, with a hipped roof over each wing, and 3 central bays. The central bays
have C19 16-pane sashes with cambered stone arches at first floor, ground floor has
central early C20 French windows and C19 20-pane sash with cambered arch to each
side. Wing to left has 24-pane sash at ground floor and 16-pane sash at first floor.
The right side is the 1680 south entrance front. This is a symmetrical 5-bay 2-
storey front, all windows are circa 1680 40-pane sashes with very small panes, thick
glazing bars which are bolection-moulded on the inside and flat-faced outside, with
segmental stone arches. Central double C19 half-glazed doors with segmental hood.
Three S-shaped ties. Attached to right is the single storey service range, with C20
window and 30-pane sash with thick glazing bars. Above the windows are 3 pointed
arched recesses with slate cills ; these seem to be too small for bee-boles, but are
south-facing. To right, a pointed arched doorway through a screen wall. The left
side of the main range has C19 8-pane sash at first floor to right ; similar sash at
ground and first floor in the front wing. At the rear, there is a small 2-storey
wing to right, with C19 12-pane sash at ground and first floor ; at the inner side,
the first floor level is slate-hung, with 2-light C20 window, small 12-pane sash at
ground floor. The rear of the main range has 2 windows, ground floor has 2 C19 24-
pane sashes with cambered arches, first floor has two 20-pane sashes with cambered
arches. Small 12-pane sash at ground floor to left and external stack. The rear
stair tower is in 2 builds, with a straight joint between. The stair tower has 12-
pane sash at first floor. The rear part has gabled porch with re-used granite
doorway with hollow-chamfered segmental arch (removed from the stable) and C20 door ;
C20 window to left. At first floor a 2-light 6-pane casement with L hinges, and
small 12-pane sash at attic level. The stair tower has a hipped roof.
Interior: The interior retains an unusually complete set of bolection-moulded
panelled rooms. In the 1680 range, the room to front left has complete bolection-
moulded panelling, with moulded plaster cornice ; the panelling is brought forward
over the windows. Bolection-moulded chimneypiece with pulvinated frieze and moulded
mantel. The passage has bolection-moulded panelling ; originally with door
symmetrically placed to right and left, each with bolection-moulded surround and 2-
panelled door ; the doorway to right has been moved to left, and is now the entrance
to the kitchen. Most of the doors are the original, others are C19 copies. The
stair hall has an open-well stair, with twisted balusters, and scroll carved string
with carved flowers ramped dado panelling with pilasters. Over the stair hall there
is a coved plaster cornice with acanthus and flowers. On the half-handing, a
doorcase to rear with broken pediment with cherub. At first floor, the panelling is
probably of C19, copied from the original, one doorcase retaining an early carved
cherub's head with folded wings. In the 1680 range, there are two rooms with
complete bolection-moulded panelling and chimneypiece, with 2 small dressing-rooms at
the right end ; the windows have segmental arches with key blocks, and the panelling
is slightly varied over the chimneypiece. All bolection-moulded doorcases with 2-
panelled doors. These rooms were originally interconnected, now blocked with copied
panelling. Over the original range, there is one small room to front which also has
bolection-moulded panelling, and chimneypiece. In the main range, the ground floor
room to left was originally the lower end kitchen, with an oven in the gable end
fireplace, now removed.
Over the main range, the roof retains the trusses from late C17, with principal
rafters halved and pegged at the apex, cambered collars halved and pegged to the
principals ; trenched purlins.
This house is unusual in retaining a fine set of rooms with panelling, and the
complete set of late C17 sashes on the south front are unusually fine and very rare.
Listing NGR: SX0825268948
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings