This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1288 / 50°7'43"N
Longitude: -5.1027 / 5°6'9"W
OS Eastings: 178340
OS Northings: 30026
OS Grid: SW783300
Mapcode National: GBR ZC.K0S5
Mapcode Global: FRA 086P.1WS
Plus Code: 9C2P4VHW+GW
Entry Name: Rosemerryn House
Listing Date: 10 July 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146478
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66435
Location: Budock, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Budock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Budock
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 SE BUDOCK
3/16 Rosemerryn House
Country house. Circa 1720. Dressed killas and killas rubble, granite ashlar plinth.
Wooden lintels over openings at the front. Dry Delabole slate roofs (laid with
diminishing courses at the front) hipped returned ends at the front, hipped end on
left of parallel roof over stair hall, gable ends to rear wings. Axial stone stack
over cross wall towards left and another stack over rear wall of right-hand room.
Plan: Large overall U-shaped plan. Probably original L-shaped with stair hall wing
in the inner (rear) angle between front range with parlour (left) and hall (right)
and probably original service wing at right angles behind the hall. Later C18
service wing at right angles behind the parlour. Between the parlour and larger hall
is a large entrance hall linked to large stair hall (under separate roof) behind.
Exterior: 2 storeys (plus attics in rear right-hand wing). Symmetrical 7 window
north west front with central doorway. C18 6-panel door within original distyle
pedimented stone porch with Gibbs style rustications and Ionic capitals. Circa mid-
C18 18-pane hornless sashes with wide glazing bars and most of the original crown
glass. Moulded brackets to moulded eaves cornice.
Interior: Partly inspected. Parlour has original moulded ribbed plaster ceiling
with central diamond within double oval and bordered by rectangular panels. Original
open-well stair with twist balusters over an open string.
Rosemerryn is on an ancient site. First known record is 1283. In 1721, J.L. Mason
paid rates on Rosmerryn. In 1746, it was occupied by Richard Mason, Esq., but the
family was reduced in a few years and the mansion was going to ruin. In 1773, Capt.
Peter Brown, of the Packet "King George", purchased the estate. He married Mary,
daughter of Capt. John Trounde, and was sheriff of Cornwall in 1775.
Source: Extracted from notes supplied by Jane Pollard.
Listing NGR: SW7834030026
Other nearby listed buildings