This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7996 / 50°47'58"N
Longitude: -3.8965 / 3°53'47"W
OS Eastings: 266449
OS Northings: 101722
OS Grid: SS664017
Mapcode National: GBR KY.YYJG
Mapcode Global: FRA 26QZ.HSC
Plus Code: 9C2RQ4X3+VC
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 22 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146842
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92975
Location: North Tawton, West Devon, Devon, EX20
Civil Parish: North Tawton
Built-Up Area: North Tawton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: North Tawton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
NORTH TAWTON ESSINGTON ROAD, North Tawton
SS 60 SE
13/92 Church of St Peter
Parish church. C13 and C15 with early C16 addition, restored in 1832 and/or 1842.
Walls of stone rubble and granite ashlar. Gable ended slate roof, wood shingle roof
to broach spire.
Plan: nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch and west tower. The tower
is the earliest part of the church, dating from the C13. The nave and north aisle
are C15 and the south aisle and porch were added in circa early C16. Chancel
rebuilt and enlarged in C19 - either 1832 or 1842 (sources differ), also in 1832
general restoration carried out including window tracery. In 1834 a fire in the
town spread to the Church spire which was considerably damaged and was rebuilt at a
Exterior: squat unbuttressed west tower with broach spire. On its south side are 4
small lancets with pointed arch beads. Large granite west doorway with 4-centred
head and plain chamfer - probably a later insertion. Restored 3-light Perpendicular
West window. Single arched lancet belfry opening. Single storey battlemented
vestry, added in 1900, in angle between tower and north aisle. North aisle is of
ashlar with buttresses between the windows. Five 3-light Perpendicular windows all
with mullions renewed. Between the 2 westerly windows is a north doorway of moulded
granite with 4-centred head and arched hoodmould. Pointed head image niche above.
At east end of aisle is large 3-light restored Perpendicular window. Rebuilt
Chancel also of granite ashlar with 4-light Perpendicular style east window. South
aisle, also of ashlar, has 5 early C16 3-light granite mullion windows with
depressed 4-centred arch lights and straight heads with square hoodmoulds.
Buttresses in between windows. Small ogee-headed granite priests doorway below
eastern window of aisle. 1 storey gabled south porch has granite doorway with 4-
centred head, moulded on inside and out.
Interior: porch retains its wagon roof, partly restored, with moulded ribs and
carved bosses and wall-plates. Granite south doorway with 4-centred head, roll and
hollow moulding and deeply incised scroll stops. Probably contemporary heavy plank
door. Two 6-bay granite arcades to north and south aisles with 4-centred arches and
Pevsner A-type piers, their capitals differ slightly. No tower or chancel arches.
Internal walls are plastered. Late C15 or early C16 open wagon roofs with moulded
ribs, carved bosses and wall-plates. In the nave some late medieval carved bench
ends survive - one with the arms of the Champernowne family. Gallery at west end
has C18 stairs leading to it and some C18 panelling at the side but has been re-
One late C18 wall memorial on north wall to members of Kellend family who died 1781-
5, it consists of a white marble plaque with black marble surround and urb above.
The only surviving medieval glass is in the head of the central north window and
depicts various angels holding coats of arms.
Sources: Beatrix Cresswell : Churches in the Deanery of Okehampton; Walter
Mortimer : The History of North Tawton.
Listing NGR: SS6644901729
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings