This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7904 / 50°47'25"N
Longitude: -4.1102 / 4°6'36"W
OS Eastings: 251362
OS Northings: 101101
OS Grid: SS513011
Mapcode National: GBR KN.ZJLB
Mapcode Global: FRA 2780.4KB
Plus Code: 9C2QQVRQ+5W
Entry Name: Great Rutleigh
Listing Date: 22 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146939
English Heritage Legacy ID: 93328
Location: Northlew, West Devon, Devon, EX20
Civil Parish: Northlew
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Northlew St Thomas of Canterbury
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 50 SW
6/217 Great Rutleigh
Farmnouse originally probably small manor house. First half of the C16 built by
William Kelly probably the William Kelly who died in 1534 and was responsible for
some of the rebuilding of the Church (q.v.), C19 additions and C20 alterations.
Partly rendered rubble walls. Gable ended corrugated iron and slate roof. Stone
rubble stack at left gable end, axial rubble stack, partly rendered, with dripstones
and moulded stringcourse; small rendered, probably brick stack at right gable end.
Brick stack to wing.
Plan: original plan not entirely clear due to C20 alterations but likely to have
been 3 rooms with through-passage, lower room to the right. The most problematic
feature of the plan is the existence of what appears to be a C16 blocked doorway on
the front wall of the hall. Unless this has been re-used it is most likely to have
given access to a stair but if so it is in an unusual position. The hall stack
backs onto the passage but is likely to be a C17 insertion and the existence of
several other C17 features suggest that a remodelling of the house took place then
including the addition of a porch in 1648. A large C19 wing was added in front of
the hall to its left in the C19. In the C20 the passage was blocked half way along
and the house divided into 2 parts.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical front has large wing projecting to left and
outshut in front of right-hand side. The wing projects in 2 stages and the right-
hand, recessed part was probably a gabled 2 storey porch formerly as it has a wide
C17 wooden ovolo-moulded doorframe with a C19 plank door and stone plaque above
inscribed 1648 with very worn initials possibly A. S. W. G. There is a later
outshut against the left side of the wing. 4-window elevation to rear mainly C20
casements with mid to later C19 sashes. The 1st floor window to right of centre,
however, is a C17 4-light ovolo-moulded wooden mullion window.
Interior: at front of passage is large very fine depressed 4-centred arched stone
doorway with roll moulding and incised scroll stops. Carved spandrels and
hoodmould. Inscribed in a stone above the doorway is the name William Kelly. C17
plank and muntin screen at lower side of passage with scratch moulded muntins and
moulded head beam. C17 ovolo-moulded wooden doorframe from passage to hall. The
hall fireplace has a moulded wooden lintel with jewel stops. At the front of the
hall is a recess with moulded pointed stone arch which may originally have been a
The roof trusses appear relatively late since only a very little of insubstantial
straight principals is visible on the 1st floor but at the time of survey there was
no access to the roof space and earlier timbers may survive.
This was evidently an important house in the C16 and C18 of gentry status.
Listing NGR: SS5136201101
Other nearby listed buildings