This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7844 / 50°47'3"N
Longitude: -4.1311 / 4°7'52"W
OS Eastings: 249865
OS Northings: 100479
OS Grid: SS498004
Mapcode National: GBR KM.ZZ4M
Mapcode Global: FRA 2770.ND9
Entry Name: East Worth Farmhouse
Listing Date: 23 January 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1259320
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463038
Location: Northlew, West Devon, Devon, EX20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Northlew
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Northlew St Thomas of Canterbury
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS40SE NORTHLEW WORTH
1541- /5/10001 East Worth Farmhouse
Former farmhouse, now private house. Possibly C17 origins, much C20 detail. Rendered cob on rubble stone footings and plinth, slate roof, formerly thatch; rubble stack backing on cross passage, two further external eaves stacks, raised in stone, at south end. PLAN: of longhouse derivative form: two-room, one heated, and byre beyond cross passage, with late C20 wing added to right (S) end. Between cross-passage and byre a cob partition added later, and raised to gable in concrete block in C20. Formerly entered from the rear (E) side, now from W. Remains of range of low outbuildings attached to SE corner of house. EXTERIOR: Two storeys, scattered fenestration, mainly 2-light small-pane late C20 wood casements, plank doors. To right is brought-forward new wing with half-hipped end over casement at each level, and narrow stair light, with door set back under recessed corner. To left the lower byre, with hipped outer end, having door to passage, and pair plank doors to centre. At gable to passage a rubble stack, with projecting weathering stones to former thatch. South front has small casements, and two external stacks. East, former entry front has C20 gabled half-dormer above pair of glazed doors. Lower byre has small eaves light and loading door above plank passage door and two further doors, with small casement to right; outer gable end is plain. At the S end of the main range a low gabled barn range has 4 pigeon holes at eaves, and loading door above plank door entry, gabled outer end, but early photographs show continuing range here. INTERIOR: the central room, former kitchen, has deep fire recess with chamfered and stopped bressumer on stone cheeks, and cloam oven to right, with C19 cast-iron door. To left of fire is plank door to passage. Opposite fire is deep square recess with C17 or C18 carved surround, formerly with door, and to left, set high an C18 cupboard recess with shelf. The smaller outer room has a central heavy chamfered beam. In the original range all ground floor walls are heavily battered within. In new wing a late C20 staircase leads to the upper floor, with no early detail, C20 roof structure, but a pair of former cruck arms, with trench for purlin, is built in to the central bedroom. The cross-passage retains a cobbled floor, with later cob wall to left. The byre also retains most of the former cobbled flooring, including central drainage channel, to which outlet is blocked at N end; part of the floor later covered with a concrete slab, being carefully removed at time of inspection. The loft floor is on 3 heavy rough-chamfered and stopped beams; C19 roof structure, probably lowered when slated. The gabled outbuilding has C18 or C19 roof structure, but retains no other detail of interest. Although substantially modified in the C20, the house retains sufficient original structure, and clear indications of its origins as a longhouse-type plan.
Listing NGR: SS4986500479
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings