This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3479 / 50°20'52"N
Longitude: -3.8869 / 3°53'12"W
OS Eastings: 265847
OS Northings: 51477
OS Grid: SX658514
Mapcode National: GBR Q9.7H9S
Mapcode Global: FRA 28R3.TT1
Entry Name: The Old Chapel and the Old Schoolroom with Gates and Piers
Listing Date: 25 January 1990
Last Amended: 4 November 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147038
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99745
Location: Modbury, South Hams, Devon, PL21
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Modbury
Built-Up Area: Modbury
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Modbury St George
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
1307/7/150 NEW ROAD
25-JAN-90 THE OLD CHAPEL AND THE OLD SCHOOLROOM
WITH GATES AND PIERS
(Formerly listed as:
METHODIST CHURCH AND SCHOOLROOM WITH G
ATES AND PIERS)
Former Methodist chapel and attached schoolroom. Chapel 1835, schoolroom 1874.
MATERIALS: The chapel is rendered and has a hipped slate roof. The schoolroom is constructed of rubble stone and has a slate roof.
EXTERIOR: Chapel: The principal elevation (north) has two large arched 25-pane sashes with radial-bar heads. To the east elevation is a wide double flush panelled doors under a panelled arched head in deep reveals below smaller, arched sash window, pilaster strips at corners. To the west elevation are two similar arched sash windows. A gabled porch with arched doorway with three-panel door and overlight. Schoolroom: The principal elevation (north) has stepped 1:2:1 arched plate glass lights, the central pair under a semi-circular moulded hood on brackets. Two pairs of similar lights to west elevation.
INTERIORS: Interiors not inspected but the chapel is believed to retain its gallery and the schoolroom is believed to retain its open hall with decorative roof trusses consisting of tie beam and collar.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: At the east end is a pair of square gabled piers to plinth and weathered moulded capping on two granite steps, containing pair of good ornamental C19 cast iron gates including ornamentation at dog-bar level, and a simple overthrow. To the front of the chapel is a low rubble wall to weathered stone coping, and a further pair of square rubble piers to the recessed porch entry.
HISTORY: According to 'An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-Houses in South-West England' and Pevsner the chapel opened in 1835. The adjacent schoolroom was opened in 1874.
SOURCES: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon (2004) 571 Stell, C, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-Houses in South-West England (1991)
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
The Old Chapel and The Old Schoolroom with gates and piers is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural Interest: As a good example of a pre-1840 Methodist chapel retaining its external architectural composition. The juxtaposition of the classical style chapel with the Gothic style schoolroom demonstrates the development of architectural styles within Methodism.
* Group Value: The characteristic Methodist arrangement of chapel and schoolroom and the retention of the boundary walls, piers and gates
* Interiors: Evidence of its original internal arrangements including former gallery to The Old Chapel and open hall and decorative roof trusses to The Old Schoolroom
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings