History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Maltings Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Oakley, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.9034 / 51°54'12"N

Longitude: 1.1894 / 1°11'21"E

OS Eastings: 619503

OS Northings: 227567

OS Grid: TM195275

Mapcode National: GBR VR0.MJQ

Mapcode Global: VHLCL.KFN6

Plus Code: 9F33W53Q+9Q

Entry Name: Maltings Farmhouse

Listing Date: 30 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1147224

English Heritage Legacy ID: 120267

Location: Great Oakley, Tendring, Essex, CO12

County: Essex

Civil Parish: Great Oakley

Built-Up Area: Great Oakley

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Great Oakley All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in


TM 1827-1927 (north-east side)
7/25 Maltings Farmhouse
(Malting Farmhouse)


House and ancillary building, now a restaurant and flat. C15, altered in C16
and C17. Timber framed, roughcast rendered, roofed mainly with handmade red
clay tiles, partly with slate. 2-bay hall facing NE with C16 axial stack in
left bay, 2-bay service crosswing to left, 3-bay parlour/solar crosswing to
right, both projecting to rear. C17 internal stack at right side of right
crosswing, and long C17 extension or ancillary building beyond, now
incorporated. C19 lean-to extension with slate roof to rear of hall. Main
building of 2 storeys, right extension of one storey with attics. Ground floor,
2 late C19 sashes of 4 lights, one C19 casement. First floor, 3 similar sashes.
4-panel door, the upper panels glazed, in C20 gabled porch. Right extension,
one C20 casement, the remainder obscured by dense foliage. Gablet hips at both
ends of hall and at rear of both crosswings. Rear elevation (now used as an
entrance elevation), scattered C20 fenestration and 2 C20 doors. Shaped
sprockets below eaves. The hall has a mid-C16 inserted floor comprising a
transverse moulded beam and moulded joists of horizontal section with runout
stops, a wide wood-burning hearth (of which the mantel beam has been replaced),
and a roof raised in the C17. The left crosswing has a bridging beam with
mortices for a former partition between 2 service rooms, plain joists of
horizontal section jointed to it with unrefined soffit tenons, jowled posts in
the middle and to the rear, a cambered central tiebeam with one arched brace in
situ, wallplates with edge-halved and bridled scarfs, and a roof altered in the
C17. A former jetty to the front has been cut back to align with the front of
the hall. Diamond mortices for an unglazed window, now blocked, in the left
upper wall. The right crosswing has an original partition between the middle
and rear bays, a chamfered binding beam, plain joists of horizontal section
jointed with unrefined soffit tenons, jowled posts, and similar alterations to
the roof and jetty. At the junction with the right extension is a bread oven,
complete with door. The extension has a chamfered axial beam and plain joists
of vertical section. Possibly RCHM 4. In the tithe award of 1841 this was the
farmhouse of a farm of 58 acres, unnamed (Essex Record Office, D/CT 258)

Listing NGR: TM1950327567

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.