This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3232 / 53°19'23"N
Longitude: -0.2974 / 0°17'50"W
OS Eastings: 513501
OS Northings: 382049
OS Grid: TF135820
Mapcode National: GBR VZC0.DF
Mapcode Global: WHHJV.DQLQ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 6 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147481
English Heritage Legacy ID: 195424
Location: West Torrington, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: West Torrington
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: East Barkwith St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 18/06/2015
TF 18 SW
MAIN STREET (north-west side)
Church of St. Mary
(Formerly listed as Church of St Mark)
Parish church, formally closed for worship in 2011. Built 1860-1 by R. J. Withers re-using C14 masonry. Ironstone, greenstone and limestone rubble, limestone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with decorative ridge tiles and stone coped gables. West bellcote, nave with south porch, chancel with north vestry. West front with 2 four stage buttresses with pronounced, moulded plinths and curved set-offs. Central C19 window with pointed head, 2 cusped ogee headed lights, mouchettes and hood mould. Moulded string course above with pilaster rising from centre of window. Moulded string course above. Pilaster narrows above, rising to centre of bellcote. Bellcote re-using C14 masonry including fragments of buttress of old tower, with 2 pointed openings with chamfered surrounds and hood moulds. Quatrefoil above and ashlar dressed gable with weather vane. C19 north side of nave with 2 rectangular windows, each with 3 cusped, ogee headed lights and hood moulds, flanking single 3 stage buttress. North vestry with lean-to roof, and west doorway re-using C14 masonry, with Caernarvon head, chamfered surround, pointed C19 relieving arch and plank door. East end of vestry with pointed window re-using mid C14 masonry with moulded surround, 2 cusped, ogee headed lights with reticulated tracery and hood mould. C19 relieving arch above. Moulded eaves-above. East end of chancel with large pointed window with C14 moulded surround, 3 C19 cusped ogee headed lights and rich C19 tracery, hood mould. South side of chancel with single C19 window with flattened triangular head, 2 cusped, ogee headed lights, mouchette and hood mould. Lower parts of south side of
nave medieval with C19 3 stage buttress and 2 C19 rectangular windows with richly moulded surround and mullions, 3 cusped, ogee headed lights with hood mould. Gabled south porch re-using C14 masonry. 2 stage buttresses to east and west with upper gables. Pointed south doorway with head and jambs moulded in one with hood mould and lattice work doors. C14 niche above with corbelled base and cusped, pointed head. Porch interior flanked by wooden benches. C19 interior doorway with richly moulded pointed head with richly moulded jambs including filleted rolls. Hood mould with king and bishop label stops, plank doors. C19 pointed, moulded chancel arch with hood mould and head label stops. Polygonal responds with shaft rings.C19 north vestry doorway with cusped head, hood mould and head label stops, all painted ornately, and plank door. C19 aumbry to right with cusped, trefoiled head. C19 reredos with coloured mosaic panels and string course running above. C19 sedilia with cusped head in south wall. Early C12 font with beaded interesecting arcade and scalloped capitals. C20 pulpit re-using C18 turned columns with knops. Severely damaged fragment of robes of tomb effigy in vestry. C19 altar rail, pews and roofs.
St. Gilbert, founder of the Gilbertine Order was vicar 1123-89. Thomas Wimberley Mossman was vicar 1859-1885 and brought about the restoration of the church. He was an important and controversial figure in the Oxford movement, correspondent of Cardinal Newman and founder of a Brotherhood aimed at financing young men from poor backgrounds through their training at Theological College and thus into the priesthood. Mossman was also notable as an historian and active Liberal politician and a crucial figure in the early Oecumenical Movement.
Listing NGR: TF1350182049
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings