This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2871 / 53°17'13"N
Longitude: -0.3014 / 0°18'5"W
OS Eastings: 513328
OS Northings: 378024
OS Grid: TF133780
Mapcode National: GBR VZBF.JD
Mapcode Global: WHHK1.BMPX
Entry Name: Almshouses and Wall with Gateway
Listing Date: 6 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147519
English Heritage Legacy ID: 195435
Location: Wragby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: Wragby
Built-Up Area: Wragby
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Wragby All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
WRAGBY MAIN STREET
TF 17 NW
and wall with
10 almshouses. 1840. Stock brick, some red brick patching,
limestone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with stone coped gables
and kneelers. 4 tall ridge stacks to central block, 2 projecting
stacks to rear of each wing, all the stacks with tall angle
shafts. High plinth. Three sides of courtyard. 2 storey, 9
bay central block with projecting, gabled central and end bays.
Central archway with moulded, four centred head and hood mould.
Gateway flanked by single narrow rectangular lights. Single 2
light mullion windows flank single narrow light with triangular
head, on each side of gateway. Projecting end bays with some red
brick patching and single C20 casements with segmental heads.
C20 casement above gateway with plaque above set in gable and
inscribed: 'Founded by Sir Edward Turnor Knt. 1695. Dona Dei Deo
Amore et Exempio. Rebuilt 1840' with coat of arms. Single
triangular headed light set under small gable flanked by single 3
light mullion windows on each side. Pair of narrow lights with
triangular heads in each end bay. Side wings each of 2 storeys
and 5 bays with gabled central bay projecting slightly 2
doorways with shallow triangular heads and plank doors, alternate
with 3, two light windows, each light with triangular head.
Central window above with single narrow light with triangular
head. End walls of each side wing with a pair of narrow plain
sashes and single narrow casement above. Low brick wall enclosed
fourth side of courtyard with central gateway with flanking
rectangular pillars with shallow triangular crowns, 3 low
pilaster buttresses on wall to each side, and cast iron railings
and gate with fleur de lys upper terminations.
Listing NGR: TF1332878024
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings