This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9269 / 51°55'36"N
Longitude: 0.5115 / 0°30'41"E
OS Eastings: 572787
OS Northings: 228352
OS Grid: TL727283
Mapcode National: GBR PH8.458
Mapcode Global: VHJJ3.TT9Q
Entry Name: Nichol's Farmhouse
Listing Date: 2 May 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147667
English Heritage Legacy ID: 115564
Location: Shalford, Braintree, Essex, CM7
Civil Parish: Shalford
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Shalford St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 72 NW SHALFORD BRAINTREE ROAD
3/45 Nichol's Farmhouse
House. Late medieval, altered in C16 and early C17. Timber framed, plastered,
roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 2-bay hall facing SE, with originally
storeyed parlour/solar bay at left end, early C16 or earlier. 3-bay extension
to right, early C17, with axial stack at the junction. Hall range of one storey
with attics, right extension of 2 storeys. Ground floor, 5 C20 casements.
Upper floor, 3 C20 casements, of which one is in a gabled dormer. C20 door. 6
octagonal shafts, rebuilt. The left bay of the hall house has a chamfered axial
beam with step stops, plain joists of horizontal section, and a shutter groove
and diamond mortices for an unglazed window at the end. The rear wallplate of
the hall exhibits evidence of a large unglazed window, and is smoke-blackened.
The mid-C16 inserted floor consists of a transverse beam, chamfered with step
stops, supported on independent posts, longitudinal square joists chamfered with
step stops, and original boards. On one side the middle part of the beam is
left unchamfered, indicating the former existence of a timber-framed chimney.
The roof is ceiled, without access, so this part of the building cannot be
accurately dated. C20 grate in large wood-burning hearth on ground floor,
blocked hearth with depressed arch of plastered brick on upper floor. Jowled
posts, inserted framed doorway in one tiebeam, other severed. The right
extension has jowled posts, some exposed close studding, and primary straight
bracing. Chamfered axial beams with plain joists of horizontal section. Large
wood-burning hearth on ground floor, hearth with depressed brick arch
(originally plastered, now stripped) on first floor. Unusual internal door with
ventilation slots to rear of stack, C17 or C18. The name derives from John the
son of Nicholas, recorded in court rolls from 1304 to 1326, and Thomas, John and
Margery Fitz-Nicols or Nicholas, who successively held the estate from 1351 to
1376. Nichols was formerly a manor (P. Morant, The History and Antiquities of
Essex, 1768, II, 38). RCHM 3.
Listing NGR: TL7278728352
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings