This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5522 / 50°33'7"N
Longitude: -3.539 / 3°32'20"W
OS Eastings: 291068
OS Northings: 73620
OS Grid: SX910736
Mapcode National: GBR P1.29QD
Mapcode Global: FRA 37GL.YXR
Entry Name: Green
Listing Date: 2 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1147732
English Heritage Legacy ID: 85733
Location: Bishopsteignton, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ14
Civil Parish: Bishopsteignton
Built-Up Area: Bishopsteignton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bishopsteignton St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 9073-9173 BISHOPSTEIGNTON SHUTE HILL (east side),
House early C17, possibly a remodelling of an earlier house with several phases of
remodelling and extension including a circa mid C19 phase and very thorough
alterations of the circa 1920's Red sandstone rubble and 1920s timber framing
(Presumably cladding brick); slate roof to main block, gabled at ends, red tiled roof
of the 1920s to rear block. Projecting right end stack to main block, lateral stacks
to wings now enclosed by various additions.
Plan: Extremely complicated plan, the C17 arrangement obscured by the 1920s
remodelling. Main block facing south, single depth with a fine early C17 parlour to
the right, and unheated room to the left and 2 high quality rooms on the first floor.
This block has been remodelled in the C19 with a symmetrical front elevation. A
north wing, parallel to the main block and divided from it by a lean-to containing
the main entrance, may also be of early origins. The 1920s remodelling was
substantial and involved the addition of a clad timber-frame garden room now at the
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 5-bay south front to main block with rusticated
quoins with a 1920s roof dormer to the left and larger gabled dormer to the right.
Central C19 half-glazed front door with canted bay windows to the left and right with
12 pane sashes and hipped slate roofs continued as a verandah, 12 pane first floor
sashes with probably concrete architraves. At the right end a set-back block with a
lean-to roof has a 3 high casement window above a segmental relieving arch which
disappears behind the main block. To the right of this a 1920s garden room (now in
separate ownership) is timber frame clad with a large ground floor bay window with
leaded panes. Further to the right a castellated archway and wall are probably part
of the 1920s remodelling. The west elevation, facing Shute Hill, is rather
eccentric, gabled to left and right with a lean-to roof between. 1920s front door
into lean-to with a sloping porch canopy below a late C18 or early C19 pretty bow
window with a 12 pane sash in the centre, 4 pane to the outer lights. The left hand
gabled block has deeply recessed wide windows with iron grilles to the ground floor,
the first floor is jettied and clad with timber framing with a 1920s bowed oriel
window. The gable of the right hand block is also timber-frame clad.
Interior: The early C17 plasterwork is outstanding, presumably all of 1615, the date
on chimney-piece on the first floor, and combining enriched and single rib patterns
on the ground floor. This provides a date for the transition of these types of
plasterwork design. The ground floor room ceiling is divided into 3 sections by
moulded crossbeams (the idiosyncratic soffit carving probably 1920s) with an enriched
rib design in the centre and elegant single-rib designs in the outer sections with
floral sprays. A frieze on the rear wall is probably co-eral, and a freeze of flower
trails on the front wall above the bay window also appears to be C17 but some of the
decoration round the bay is clearly later. Timber chimney piece with carved
spandrels and considerable repair. The 2 first floor rooms above have single rib
ceilings and the right hand room has a similar carved chimney-piece dated 1615 in the
spandrels with the initials NC and MNC, possibly Nicholas and Michael Cave, the
plaster cornice survives except against the party wall with the left hand room.
Single rib ceiling of a different design to left hand room, where the cornice does
not survive against the party wall.
Roof: Not inspected at time time of survey. Green was the home of the Cave family
from circa 1612 until the late C19.
Plaster ceilings of outstanding importance.
Listing NGR: SX9106873620
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings