This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6063 / 50°36'22"N
Longitude: -2.453 / 2°27'10"W
OS Eastings: 368039
OS Northings: 78601
OS Grid: SY680786
Mapcode National: GBR PY.DPND
Mapcode Global: FRA 57RG.N4H
Entry Name: Old Rooms Inn
Listing Date: 12 December 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148106
English Heritage Legacy ID: 468005
Location: Weymouth and Portland, Dorset, DT4
District: Weymouth and Portland
Electoral Ward/Division: Weymouth East
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Weymouth
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Weymouth Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY6878NW TRINITY STREET
873-1/24/397 (East side)
Old Rooms Inn
House, later assembly rooms and public house, now offices.
Late C16 (RCHME). Large dressed and coursed Portland stone
block, tile roof with 2 courses of stone slate to the eaves.
PLAN: originally a single-depth 2-room block with central
throughway, and full-height projecting porch with eaves level
above the main roof. The property had a rear overlooking the
harbour; this is now covered by the early C19 range facing
EXTERIOR: Trinity Street front is symmetrical, in 2 storeys, 3
windows, all recessed hollow-mould stone mullion casements,
set flush, and with a continuous moulded drip-course at first
floor, with a 6-light each side of the porch, with a 4-light
to the front and 2-light on the returns. Ground floor has a
4-light casement and a doorway each side of the porch, under a
moulded label with dropped ends; the doorway to the left has
been blocked, and to the right is plank with vertical battens.
The porch has, to the front, a square doorway to a plain
lintel on a 4-panel flush door. To the N is a wide plank door
under a flat basket-arch head with bold keystone, and moulded
architrave. A large brick stack, back right.
The long early C19 rear range is set at right-angles to the
early building. It is in Flemish bond brickwork with hipped
slate roof, in 2 storeys, 4 windows; at first floor 12-pane
sashes in reveals and to brick voussoirs. The whole ground
floor is in large glazed panels with pilasters, to a deep
cornice with modillions, which returns to Cove Street. The
2-pane lights have 3-pane transom lights. Under the second
window is a glazed door with transom light, and splayed across
the outer corner is a further similar door.
In Cove Street are 2-and-a-half bays as the front, with 2
sashes at first floor. There are 2 ridge stacks, a bold
moulded cornice, and the rear wall is rendered.
INTERIOR: ground floor appears to have been opened up and no
early beams are visible. A blocked fireplace to rear of room
to right, with a deep 4-centred lintel, and behind this a
large brick stack.
HISTORICAL NOTE: in 1618 the home of Thomas Giear, and in the
C18 used as assembly rooms (Delamotte's Public Rooms).
These two ranges, with No.15 (qv) and the remains of the Town
Pump, Cove Row (qv) adjoining form an important ensemble in a
prominent harbour position. At the time of survey the N end is
somewhat concealed by a C20 public convenience block.
(RCHME: Dorset, South-East: London: 1970-: 345).
Listing NGR: SY6803978601
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings