This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4402 / 54°26'24"N
Longitude: -0.5496 / 0°32'58"W
OS Eastings: 494162
OS Northings: 505940
OS Grid: NZ941059
Mapcode National: GBR SKL3.T3
Mapcode Global: WHGB5.JNHG
Entry Name: Church of St Stephen
Listing Date: 6 October 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148706
English Heritage Legacy ID: 327705
Location: Fylingdales, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO22
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Fylingdales
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Fylingdales St Stephen
Church of England Diocese: York
FYLINGDALES CHURCH LANE
16/52 (east side)
- Church of St Stephen
Former Parish Church. 1821 rebuilding on medieval site. Course
herringbone-tooled sandstone with ashlar dressings. Purple slate roof.
Single-cell preaching box with small sanctuary; South porch and north vestry are
early additions. Gothick style. Open-pedimented porch has segment-arched
entrance with rusticated voussoirs. Sundial above has dates 1736, 1864 and 1919
with various initials. Wood side benches; and wide 6-panel double door with
interlaced fanlight; keystone largely concealed by barrel vault of porch. 5-bay
nave has pointed-arched windows, with glazing bars and interlaced heads, in
architraves with imposts. All rest on a cill band except for shorter window
above door. Small square-headed door in south chancel wall; east window similar
and flanked by big stepped diagonal buttresses. North nave wall has 3 short
windows, similar to that above door, lighting the gallery. West windows similar
to east. Vestry has 15-pane fixed light with 2 opening panes. OSBM on
south-eash corner of nave. West bell-cupola had only its damaged wood frame
remaining at time of survey. Interior: Complete late Georgian fittings.
Panelled gallery, around north and west sides, rests on Roman Doric columns.
Lateral south pulpit has sounding board and stairs with turned balusters and
ramped handrail. Complete box pews, including one named for the Farsyde family
with coat of arms. Various memorial tablets to the Farsyde family. Small early
C18 font with low, cornical open cover.
Listing NGR: NZ9416105939
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings