This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.4311 / 54°25'51"N
Longitude: -0.5462 / 0°32'46"W
OS Eastings: 494405
OS Northings: 504935
OS Grid: NZ944049
Mapcode National: GBR SKM6.KB
Mapcode Global: WHGB5.LW3F
Plus Code: 9C6XCFJ3+CG
Entry Name: Thorpe Hall
Listing Date: 6 October 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1148707
English Heritage Legacy ID: 327707
Location: Fylingdales, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO22
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Fylingdales
Built-Up Area: Robin Hood's Bay
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Fylingdales St Stephen
Church of England Diocese: York
FYLINGDALES CHURCH LANE
(east side, off)
6.10.69 Thorpe Hall
House, 1680 dated over door, with extensions dated 1835 and 1844 in similar
style. Coursed, tooled sandstone, the later part more neatly tooled, with flush
quoins; rubble north-east bay. Welsh slate roofs; stone copings, and ridges on
older part; tile ridges on extensions; brick stacks on stone bases. Old house
rectangular plan of 2 parallel ranges; 1835 addition incorporates an earlier
building in another parallel range extended to south with south-east porch. The
1844 addition is a separate parallel east range linked to the porch. 2 storeys
and attics. Entrance front: 3 bays. Central 6-panel Tudor-headed door, upper
panels glazed in chamfered doorway with inscription FAVSYD AD 1680 and Farsyde
arms, possible recut. Flanking 3-light double-chamfered mullioned windows, with
leaded glazing on both floors. One-light window above door. Continuous drip
strings above both floors. Small central gable with double-chamfered slit.
This and end gables have stone copings and small gabled kneelers. Right return
2 gabled bays, the left slightly wider, with 3-and 2-light similar windows;
2-light attic windows. Projecting to right the 1835 gabled bay, dated in sunk
panel with Farsyde arms. Similar but 4-light windows. Right narrow porch bay
holds half-glazed door with flattened Tudor head, 3-light window above and gable
slit. Far right projecting similar 1844 wing. Left return of original house
similar to right return. Central stack on ridge linking the 2 ranges. Heraldic
glass in first-floor left window. To left a bay with axis at right-angles: 3
storeys, the lower 2 storeys possibly once an outbuilding, the top floor of late
C18 appearance; windows similar to 1835 part. Door on left return .
Deeply-recessed narrow linking bay has studded door under Farsyde and another
coats of arms. Far left 1844 range (dated over opening on rear elevation) has
C20 replaced stone-mullioned windows. Rear elevation openings mostly altered.
Interior has tasteful decoration of early C20 including much oak wainscoting,
some old but imported, some reproduction; and reproduction staircase. Lean-to
added on rear is not of special interest.
House of the North York Moors. RCHM 1987, p.37 and passim, Harrison & Hutton,
op. cit. pp. 113,235.
Listing NGR: NZ9440504935
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings