History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wydale Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Snainton, North Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.2371 / 54°14'13"N

Longitude: -0.5774 / 0°34'38"W

OS Eastings: 492819

OS Northings: 483312

OS Grid: SE928833

Mapcode National: GBR SMDF.SW

Mapcode Global: WHGC4.3RBM

Entry Name: Wydale Hall

Listing Date: 18 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1148800

English Heritage Legacy ID: 327434

Location: Snainton, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO13

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

Civil Parish: Snainton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Snainton St Stephen

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(west side, off)

7/114 Wydale Hall


- II

House, now Diocesan conference centre. C18, but said to have C17 origins;
extended and altered 1877 for the Cayley family; further extension and
alteration in 1904, by Sidney Kitson, on acquisition by Mr H Illingworth.
Dressed sandstone with tooled quoins and dressings; slate roofs. Irregular
plan. Garden front: 3-storey, 3-window front to core building; 2-storey,
projecting extension wing to right, with 2-storey, 5-window canted bay to
end right; single-storey, single window extension to left. The entrance was
removed in C19 to right return front of extension wing. Original central
entrance to core building now blocked by canted bay with a half-hexagonal
roof. To right, in re-entrant angle to extension wing, is a glazed garden
door beneath a loggia of Ionic columns. 12-pane sashes to ground and first
floor, and unequal 9-pane sash to second floor flanked by C20 replacement
casements. Keyed raised surrounds to all windows. Parapet with recessed
panels obscures roof. Extension wing: ground-floor sashes to bay window
extend to ground level. Remaining windows are 12-pane sashes in raised
surrounds to ground floor, and unequal 9-pane sashes to first floor.
Modillion eaves cornice to bay and plain coped parapet above. Entrance
front: 2-storey, 2-window projecting cross gable to left, with 2-storey, 3-
window front to right. Single-storey glazed entrance lobby with Ionic
portico contains panelled door beneath patterned overlight. To left, open-
pedimented cross gable contains unequal 9-pane sashes to ground and first
floors, and keyed oculus to tympanum. Drops of fruit carved in high relief
separate windows to both floors. Sill and lintel bands to both floors, and
fasciated keystone to ground-floor centre window. Raked modillion cornice
to pediment. Interior: traces of the C18 building survive only in the
panelled shutters intact in ground-floor front window to right of original
entrance and to all 3 first-floor front windows. The ceilings of all the
main ground-floor rooms incorporate extensive plasterwork taken from
original Robert Adams moulds and introduced during the 1904 works. The 3
ground-floor rooms in the 1877 and 1904 extensions also contain C18
fireplaces and overmantels with enriched surrounds, 2 with integral

Listing NGR: SE9281983312

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.