This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.253 / 54°15'10"N
Longitude: -0.9549 / 0°57'17"W
OS Eastings: 468188
OS Northings: 484649
OS Grid: SE681846
Mapcode National: GBR PMS8.25
Mapcode Global: WHF9T.9CJF
Entry Name: Welburn Hall
Listing Date: 5 June 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149212
English Heritage Legacy ID: 328453
Location: Welburn, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO62
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Welburn (Kirkbymoorside Ward)
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Kirkdale St Gregory
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 68 SE WELBURN BACK LANE
(north-east side, off)
4/93 Welburn Hall
Country house, now school. 1890-1893, by Walter Brierley, for Miss E. Clarke;
incorporating east wing of c.1610, for Sir John Gibson; extended
1895, by Walter Brierley, for Mr. J. Shaw; partly rebuilt after a fire in
1932 by E. Priestley. C17 wing of dressed sandstone; remainder sandstone
ashlar; slate roof. C19 main range with crosswing to right; C17 crosswing
to left, with two parallel C19 ranges beyond. 2-storey and attic on
chamfered plinth; 3-storey porch; 2-storey extension ranges. Asymetrical.
Central projecting porch contains panelled double doors with carved
spandrels under segmental arch with grooved, splayed reveals. A moulded
string course runs across the front, stepped above the doorway. Similar
band at attic level below a plain, coped parapet. Irregular fenestration.
Mullion and transom windows throughout. C17 crosswing to left : Partly
rebuilt after 1931 fire. The 5-light mullion and transom lst-flour window
under a flat dripmould survives, together with a 4-light mullion and transon
window to left. Further similar windows survive over looking the court
enclosed by the C19 extension ranges to left, and in the round floor of the
garden end of the wing. The gable end on the garden side contains original
2-storey canted and castellated bay with 12-light lst-floor mullion and double
transoms window. All C17 mullions and transoms are ovolo-moulded. A moulded
string course runs across the tops of windows on the green side, breaking
forward over carved brackets on each side of windows. A round-heated
doorway survives in the angle of the crosswing and the garden front with
moulded jambs, imposts, and a dropped keyblock carved with a mask and
leaves. Rest of garden front largely rebuilt to modified design after 1931
fire. Interior: reset C17 chimney piece in the entrance hall. Tudor-
arched fireplace in a carved surround of fluted pilasters on pedestals
strapwork - carved frieze and mantle shelf on leaf-carved brackets.
Overmantel of three equal panels surmounted by two horizontal bands, Bill of
strapwork, toppedd by a projecting cornice. Reference: Charles Carus,
Walter Brierley, unpublished thesis for the Institute of Advancd
Architectural Studies, University of York; 1973.
Listing NGR: SE6818884649
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings