This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1345 / 54°8'4"N
Longitude: -1.5209 / 1°31'15"W
OS Eastings: 431403
OS Northings: 471073
OS Grid: SE314710
Mapcode National: GBR KNTM.JM
Mapcode Global: WHC7V.LBZQ
Entry Name: Minster House
Listing Date: 27 May 1949
Last Amended: 19 March 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149408
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329989
Location: Ripon, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG4
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Ripon
Built-Up Area: Ripon
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Ripon Cathedral Parish with Littlethorpe
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 3171 RIPON BEDERN BANK
1/3 (east side)
Minster House [formerly
GV listed as the Hall
Early C18 (marked on Thomas Parker's plan in Thomas Gent's "History ... of Ripon",
1733). Red brick. Ashlar quoins. Two storeys. Parapet. Band. South front of
7 bays, west front of 5 bays, and east front with 2 slightly projecting bays: sashes
with glazing bars and moulded sills. Central south doorway with broken stone pediment
enclosing shield of arms of the Oxley family, its C19 proprietors.
Interior has a very fine staircase, round 3 sides of a large oblong stair well with
moulded plaster ceiling and modillioned cornice. Three balusters per tread, one
turned, one spiral fluted and one a double spiral. Spiral curtail with fluted newel.
Fielded panels under each tread. Fielded panelling to dado height, ramped upwards to
fluted columnar muntins. Semi-circular arches to hall and to landing above, latter
(and its neighbours) flanked by fluted lower half-column taking full entablature.
Hall has 4 doorcases with moulded architraves and pediments. All rooms panelled, some
fielded, some bolection, one room with giant fluted pilasters. Contemporary chimney-
places, 2 flanked by giant fluted Corinthian columns taking full and enriched
entablatures. One room has re-used C16/C17 wainscotting, supposed to come from
Markington Hall. One room "wainscotted" with a particularly fine Victorian scrap
History. Minster House stands on or near the site of the Bedern, the domestic
accommodation of the College of Vicars. Vicars were appointed from 1303, both to
serve the Collegiate Church in the absence of the Prebendaries, and, as the Collegiate
Church was also a parish church, to perform parochial duties, most of the Prebendaries
being non-resident. The Vicars were established in their own College in 1414,
dissolved in 1547. Archbishop Sandys (1576-88) attempted unsuccessfully to use the
Bedern for the establishment of a Theological College. It is not known who built
Minster House, but, although it has been the Deanery since 1945, for the previous
100 years it was in private hands.
Listing NGR: SE3140271073
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings