This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.132 / 54°7'55"N
Longitude: -0.7973 / 0°47'50"W
OS Eastings: 478684
OS Northings: 471352
OS Grid: SE786713
Mapcode National: GBR QNWN.5K
Mapcode Global: WHFBG.QDJP
Entry Name: Malton Station
Listing Date: 19 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149543
English Heritage Legacy ID: 329717
Location: Norton-on-Derwent, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO17
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Norton-on-Derwent
Built-Up Area: Malton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Norton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: York
SE 77 SE NORTON-ON-DERWENT NORTON ROAD
2/34 Malton Station
Railway station with station house and ancillary buildings attached. 1845
with alterations of 1867; roof extended 1883 and ticket office and parcels
office added c1890; further alterations c1890 and in C20. By G T Andrews
for York and North Midland Railway; alterations of 1890 by William Bell.
Dressed sandstone on plinth, with tooled sandstone dressings; alteration in
tooled sandstone; 1883 extension in red brick; slate and glazed roofs; brick
and stone stacks. Entrance range with trainshed behind. Single storey, 7-
bay main range with 2-storey, 2 and 3 window pavilions at each end; one and
2 storey range further to left; extension wall of 1883 at end left. Main
range: sliding panelled double doors to left of centre with divided
overlight beneath segmental arch of stepped voussoirs. To left, extension
of c1890 with two 12-pane sashes with flat arches. To right of entrance,
later inserted shop front. Three 12-pane sashes further to right, 2 in
altered openings with lintels, one with original flat arch. Pitched roof to
main range with hipped roof to extension. Station-house to right: door-case
of pilasters and entablature contains part-glazed door beneath bordered
overlight. Canted bay to right with overhanging roof on shaped brackets.
Two 12-pane sashes with painted stone sills to first floor. Ground-floor
sill band and raised first-floor band. Cavetto-moulded timber eaves cornice
beneath overhanging eaves on shaped brackets. Stacks rise through hipped
roof. Right return front of 3 bays repeats features of entrance front.
Refreshment rooms to left: door-case of pilasters and entablature contains
4-panel door beneath bordered overlight. 12-pane sashes with flat arches to
ground floor, and 2 similar windows to first floor on either side of blocked
centre opening. Remaining features repeat those of the station-house.
Range to left: centre doorway with unaltered buildings to left. Remainder
has been raised to left of the refreshment rooms and an extension added to
right of doorway. Hipped roof to each building. Original iron water tank
visible to rear. Left return wall: semicircular arched opening of voussoirs
to former Footwarmer Room. Rear: 8 arches, segmental at each end,
elliptical between, with keystones and hood-moulds, and plain pilasters
between. The wall was pierced in 1867 to accommodate an up-platform,
removed in 1911. Interior. Roofs: hipped shed roof of iron trusses of 3
vertical struts and 4 diagonal braces. Glazed extension roofs are
transverse and raised on cast-iron Composite columns with decorative
spandrels. Refreshment rooms: fittings of c1900 survive including panelled
counter and bar with shelving and bevelled glass, and 2 chimneypieces.
Ticket windows: 3 windows of c1890 survive behind C20 alterations.
Victorian letter box inset in pier to left of refreshment rooms. Windscreen
of 1867 at end of platform.
Listing NGR: SE7868471352
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings