This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.9995 / 53°59'58"N
Longitude: -1.4151 / 1°24'54"W
OS Eastings: 438439
OS Northings: 456096
OS Grid: SE384560
Mapcode National: GBR LQK6.F1
Mapcode Global: WHD9M.7QDS
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 15 March 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149951
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330686
Location: Goldsborough, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG5
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Goldsborough
Built-Up Area: Goldsborough
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Knaresborough
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 35 NE GOLDSBOROUGH CHURCH STREET
3/23 Church of Saint Mary
Church of Saint Mary. C13 and C14 with C12 south door and restorations in
1750 for Ann and Elizabeth Byerley and in 1859 by Sir George Gilbert Scott.
Coursed limestone rubble and ashlar, Westmorland slate roof. West tower,
nave and chancel under one roof, north and south aisles. 3-stage tower
with moulded plinth, narrow window and shields to second stage, and
Perpendicular belfry openings. Buttresses setback to lowest stage, angled
to middle, and diagonal to top stage. Crenellated parapet with fine
gargoyles. North aisle of 3 bays has C19 two-light windows and porch with 2
quatrefoil openings on each side. South aisle of 2 bays has possibly
repositioned Norman doorway with inner arch of zig-zag decoration, and outer
arch with beak-head decoration carried on attached single columns with
cushion capitals. To right - 2-light decorated window. South aisle, east
end has 3-light Perpendicular window. Chancel has two 2-light Decorated
windows, the more westerly window having transom and mullion. Lancet
windows at east end of north and south walls of chancel possibly C19.
Chancel east window has 5 stepped lancet lights under one arch, with a
circle above outer lights. Angle buttresses to chancel east end; ashlar
gable coping. Interior: narrow arch to west tower which has groined roof
and a circular opening for the bell ropes. North arcade has slim octagonal
pillars, the more westerly being monolithic. South arcade has stylised
foliage to capitals. Low chancel screen and sedilia are C19 Work. Memorial
to Sir Robert Byerley erected 1766 on chancel south wall, and memorials to
Richard de Goldsburgh, d 1308, and his son, Richard, d 1333, on chancel
floor, at each end of altar rail. Both are effigies of knights in full
armour, the earlier under a cusped and crocketed canopy, the later on a
panelled altar tomb which has traces of painted figures. A memorial slab on
the north wall of the north aisle, east end, commemorates Daniel Lascelles,
d. 1784. W.A. Atkinson, A Short Account of Goldsborough. 1922, p. 44.
Listing NGR: SE3843956096
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings