This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.9786 / 53°58'42"N
Longitude: -1.404 / 1°24'14"W
OS Eastings: 439185
OS Northings: 453774
OS Grid: SE391537
Mapcode National: GBR LQMF.TK
Mapcode Global: WHD9T.D8N9
Entry Name: Ribston Hall
Listing Date: 8 March 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1149963
English Heritage Legacy ID: 330603
Location: Great Ribston with Walshford, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, LS22
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Great Ribston with Walshford
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SE 35 SE GREAT RIBSTON RIBSTON PARK
5/29 Ribston Hall
Large country house. 1674 and early C18. Built for the Goodricke family.
Red brick, Flemish bond, ashlar dressings, Westmorland slate roof.
2 storeys, 15 bays. C17 south front: rusticated quoins. Central panelled
double doors have flanking Corinthian columns and open segmental scrolled
pediment. Flanking 4-pane sash windows in architraves with floating
cornices. 1st floor has 15-pane sash windows with architraves. Decorated
panel below central window. Pairs of short ashlar pilasters below windows.
Oversailing eaves with modillion cornice. Hipped roof, probably M-shaped.
2 stacks on ridge above bays 5 and 11. Further stacks on parallel ridge to
rear, and on ridges of side wings. C18 rear elevation has central doorway
with Tuscan columns supporting triangular pediment. All windows are 15-pane
sashes in recessed frames. The 2 outer bays break forward as side wings.
Left return: newly-pointed wall with round-headed staircase window. Right
return has chapel (q.v.) attached. A lower, 7-bay range of C18 and C19
date, attached to the left (west) end of the house, was demolished c1980.
Interior: the central 5 bays of the south side of the house contain the
saloon, with mid C18 plasterwork, a ceiling renewed c1790-1800 and
redecorated 1846 by C. Moxon of London, to whom the existing colours are
due. The plasterwork contains many classical motifs including laurel
wreaths, urns, trophies and eagles. Wall panels contain copies of Italian
paintings. Elaborate end fireplaces, main door in round-headed arch;
doorway to north entrance hall has flanking Corinthian columns and
triangular pediment. Other rooms on south side of house include: (west end)
small room with panelling and C17 carved wood overmantle with fruit and
flowers. At the east end: a library with access to chapel (q.v.). On the
north side of the house - a fine Adam-style dining room with columns and
fine plasterwork and carved wood. In process of redecoration.
N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (1959), pp 400 and 644.
H. Speight, Nidderdale, (1894). p 167.
Country Life, October 11th 1973, pp 1050-3, and '
October 18th 1973, pp 1142-5.
Listing NGR: SE3918553774
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings