This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.0002 / 54°0'0"N
Longitude: -1.7437 / 1°44'37"W
OS Eastings: 416900
OS Northings: 456052
OS Grid: SE169560
Mapcode National: GBR JQ85.9S
Mapcode Global: WHC8B.5QY6
Entry Name: High Apprentice House
Listing Date: 14 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150457
English Heritage Legacy ID: 331431
Location: Fewston, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, LS21
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Fewston
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Fewston St Michael and St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
FEWSTON HARDISTY HILL
SE 15 NE
2/39 High Apprentice House
House. c1800 altered probably mid C19. Coursed squared gritstone laid to
watershot courses, graduated stone slate roof. 3 storeys, 3 bays with
2-storey, 2-bay additions to left and arched gateway far left. Doors with
tie-stone jambs to bays 1 and 2; bay 1 doorhead raised and a round arch
inserted, bay 2 former paired doors, that to right blocked. Windows: ground
and first floors: 4-pane sashes in sawn-stone surrounds, inserted round
arched heads to ground floor only. 16-pane sashes to second floor.
Possible blocked loading door first floor, left. Shaped gutter brackets and
kneelers; gable copings. End stacks and between bays 1 and 2. Added bays
to left (of 2 builds): rectangular 2-pane window to left, 16-pane fixed
window to right. Central ridge stack. Rear: the facade, including the
outbuildings, is rendered and lined to resemble ashlar. The main block has
a central door with tie-stone jambs, flanking 2-light flat-faced mullion
windows to ground and first floors and single lights first-floor centre and
second floor. Similar fenestration to lower block, right. A second round
arch to right. Interior: no access between bays 1 and 2 at ground floor:
remainder of house has common access but the rear range of rooms, with
central staircase, has mid-late C19 fireplace, superior plasterwork and 6-
panel doors. Left (lower) bay has a large fireplace, the lintel carried on
cyma-moulded stone brackets, and a cast-iron range. The house was one of 2
apprentice houses built by Colbeck Ellis and Co, who constructed the West
House Flour Mill between 1797 and 1803. It housed children brought from
workhouses in London who were apprenticed to the mill owners. The High
Apprentice House was probably closed in 1843 when the mill became bankrupt
and the building adapted for cottages, but it has remained in the ownership
of Leeds Corporation and is one property at the time of resurvey. Listed
partly for historical reasons. G Shutt, "Wharfedale Water Works", M Phil
Univ Leeds, 1979; H E Bogg, Higher Wharfeland, 1904, pp 45-49.
Listing NGR: SE1690056052
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings