This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.3417 / 54°20'30"N
Longitude: -1.4363 / 1°26'10"W
OS Eastings: 436746
OS Northings: 494168
OS Grid: SE367941
Mapcode National: GBR LLD7.VC
Mapcode Global: WHD81.X47C
Entry Name: 240, High Street
Listing Date: 15 April 1986
Last Amended: 15 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150717
English Heritage Legacy ID: 332854
Location: Northallerton, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, DL7
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Northallerton
Built-Up Area: Northallerton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Northallerton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
HIGH STREET (west side),
(Formerly listed as Nos 240 and 241.
Previously listed as No 241 (The Old Grammar School)
Grammar school, now offices. 1776, altered and extended 1844. Brick in Flemish
bond, pantile roof. L-shaped plan, 2 storeys, 3 bays to High Street. Ground floor:
4-pane sash windows below lintel and segmental relieving arch in panel, recessed
within painted, round arch with impost band. First floor: 8-pane sash windows.
Dentil cornice. Hipped roof. End eaves stacks. To left, recessed single-storey
screen wall with C20 part-glazed door, not of special interest. Right return:
impost band and cornice return, 1 matching ground-floor window, 1 blind first-floor
window. Further right, probably an added house, of slightly lower storeys: 6-panel
door and 16-pane sash window on ground floor, round-arched staircase sash window
with glazing bars, radial at the top, and 16-pane sash window on first floor; dentil
cornice, stack at right end. The medieval grammar school stood in the churchyard
and was replaced by this building, then also on church land.
Rev J L Saywell, The History and Annals of Northallerton (1885), pp 31, 131, 176
Listing NGR: SE3674294159
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings