This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1598 / 54°9'35"N
Longitude: -1.1867 / 1°11'12"W
OS Eastings: 453205
OS Northings: 474082
OS Grid: SE532740
Mapcode National: GBR NN4B.WL
Mapcode Global: WHD8Y.RP3W
Entry Name: High House
Listing Date: 24 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1150731
English Heritage Legacy ID: 332788
Location: Thornton-on-the-Hill, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, YO61
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Thornton-on-the-Hill
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Coxwold St Michael
Church of England Diocese: York
THORNTON-ON-THE-HILL THORNTON LANE
SE 57 SW
- High House
Farmhouse. Probably C15, with late C16 or early C17 rear wing, mid-C18 addi-
tions, and alterations dated 1884, the 1884 work for Sir George Orby Wombwell.
Sandstone dressed in deep courses, C20 artificial slate roofs. T-shaped plan.
Main range of 2 storeys and loft, 2 bays, with lower 2-storey wing to rear left,
and with 2-storey lower addition of 2 builds set back to left. Central C20
part-glazed door below narrow overlight, flanked by C20 casement windows, that
to right partly in surround of old window with relieving arch above. On first
floor, 16-pane sash windows, and in centre a pointed-arched panel bearing date
and ligatured initials of Sir George Orby Wombwell, surmounted by a unicorn's
head. Rebuilt brick end stacks, that to right surmounting a huge stepped
external stack. Rear: wing has been doubled in width. Left return: blocked
single light first-floor window; C19 first-floor window; loft window. Right
return: to rear of external stack, blocked single-light chamfered window with
trefoiled cusping. Interior: in rear wall, now forming doorway to dairy in rear
wing, Tudor-arched door surround with ogee and hollow mouldings on high stops;
deeply-splayed window on first floor; c.1800 cast-iron fire-grate in bedroom of
left wing. The site of a deserted medieval village is marked on the 1:10 000
Ordnance Survey map just north of the farm complex, and it seems likely that
some medieval work survives in situ in High House.
Listing NGR: SE5320574082
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings